PDA

View Full Version : Frag Swap in Nashville.

Rendos
11/23/2005, 09:34 PM
Information will be posted here as it becomes available.
http://jamrac.org/fragswap.gif

Rendos
11/26/2005, 08:56 AM
Click the following link for the most up to date info.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=716166

Rendos
11/28/2005, 07:21 PM
Looks like George Weber (geo), famous for making great skimmers, and reactors, will be attending. Aquatic Critter is looking at setting up a booth. Kermit's Reef, Reef Down Under, Premium Aquatics, and Reef Science are all donating things to the raffle. Looks like people from Ohio, Tennessee, Georgia, Mississipps, and Kentucky will all be attending.

crpeck
12/05/2005, 02:13 PM
I've never been to a frag swap before. How does it work? Do we, as a club, or some individuals set up tanks there for the corals they bring? Or do people just bring them all bagged up with pictures of what they look like open?

I know corals can make it for a day bagged up without extra air, but temperature swings in January can't be great for them. Heat packs? Temp tanks with heaters? Lights, pumps and the whole works?

Do most people buy/sell or purely trade? I'd sure hate to bring a frag that didn't sell and stress it by hauling it back and forth unless I was sure I had a way to keep it.

Are we doing a table or display for our club?

Sorry for all the dumb questions. I just really have no idea how something like this works.

Cathy

gflat65
12/05/2005, 02:54 PM
In the past, it was first come first served for tables. Anyone can set up whatever set up they want (thinking in terms of conservation of electricity for all). I usually bring a 10 gallon tank, a cooler, a power inverter, a power head (small) and a heater. I put everything in the cooler with tank water and get the temp adjusted. This is tricky because there is so little water volume. The water, corals, ph, and heater are loaded into the cooler and the inverter is plugged into the lighter (providing power for the cooler). Put some towels and plastic bags under the cooler to catch sloshing water. This is an excellent storage set up. I've gone out of town for three and four days with this set up and had everything in the set up do fine. As long as you move a little water and keep the temp somewhat constant, you should be okay. I'll also have a spare 24" pc set up for lighting just to give a good idea of the color of what I'm bringing. Many will bring them pre-bagged, however. Whatever works best for you.

There will be trading, buying, and selling. Even if proices are posted, ask if they want to trade. I am posting prices because my tanks are getting full, but am still willing to trade if something comes up that I like.

I'm trying to allocate space in groupings to keep clubs somewhat together. From the inout I get from the boards, I'm loosely setting up arrangements that will be posted prior to the swap so every knows approximately where they should be to find someone they know (and to hunt down people they set up trades/purchases with). I can expand the size of the room (right now, anyway), if need be, so no worries there.

gflat65
12/05/2005, 02:56 PM
BTW, is there anyone from the Munford area? I grew up there and thought it might be nice to see someone elses tank when I come home for Christmas (if there is time, mutually).

Rendos
12/05/2005, 05:10 PM
From what I have seen, it is mostly outright selling of corals. We will have a tank or two setup for WMTRAC members to put their corals in, and bags, styro boxes, heat packs, etc. also. Some people will probably have their corals prebagged and some will have pictures of the mother colonies they came from.

We will have a table or two for our club, and I have a 2' X 4' full color banner made. Along with the Frag Swap prizes we are bringing for the raffle, I will also have a prize just for our club. It will be well worth the trip just for this prize. Trust me.

Rendos
12/18/2005, 05:02 PM
Here are some pictures of just some of the great prizes we will be raffling at the frag swap.
http://fishman.smugmug.com/photos/48778777-L.jpg
http://fishman.smugmug.com/photos/47473931-M.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v468/commiphora/aquadesignz/acan.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v468/commiphora/aquadesignz/blasto.jpg

Rendos
01/03/2006, 07:46 PM
Another vendor has graciously donated a gift for the raffle.
Scott at www.aquariumspecialty.com has donated an IceCap VHO ballast, heatsink, and wire harness to be raffled at the frag swap.

Don't give up yet guys...keep asking around for more stuff. The more stuff we have to raffle, the more people will come.

So as of now, let's make a list of definite prizes.
Hardware:
250 HQI Pendant, ballast, bulb - Kermit's Reef
175 watt retro kit with ballast, reflector, and socket - Premium Aquatics
IceCap VHO retro kit - Aquarium Specialty

Gift Certificates:
$25.00 - Reef Science

Live Stock:
7 corals including:
Acanthastrea lordhowensis
Echinophyllia sp.
Blastomussa merletti
Trachyphillia sp.
Florida ricordea
Green Ricordea yuma rock
Multiple zoanthids

If I missed anyone, please add to the list.

crpeck
01/03/2006, 09:09 PM
Are we selling raffle tickets to raise $$ for the club or just letting people sign up when they visit our table? How does that work?

I'm still trying to come. My nephew did come back from Afghanistan and he's with his sister in Huntsville right now. Haven't heard yet when he's coming back through this direction.

I should know this week.

Rendos
01/04/2006, 08:45 AM
Raffle tickets are $1.00 each, $5.00 for 7, or $10.00 for 15. The money will go to cover expenses, and if there is any left over, it will be split between us, and MTRC since we are doing all the organizing.

Rendos
01/04/2006, 07:57 PM
Aquatic Critter has generously donated a 24 gallon nano cube with stand for the raffle.
However, they will not be able to attend.

They are, however, offering the 24 gallon nano cube for $199...normal retail is $250. This offer is good for Saturday the 14th, and Sunday the 15th.

Thanks AC!

gflat65
01/15/2006, 10:38 AM
Thanks to all who were able to make it to the swap or donated things for the swap. Without you, it would not have turned out as succesful as it was. We have a few things to learn from, but of the three swaps so far, this was the best (and I'm not trying to toot my own horn;)). We'll get a bigger room for next year.

The South East Tn & North Georgia club is planning a swap in April. It will likely be in Chattanooga. They will post more in the coming days...

Thanks Richard, for pulling together so many raffle items (and Dave for continuing to give:)). I was pulling hair for a few weeks, but it all turned out succesful:).

Hope to see everyone next year.