PDA

View Full Version : DT's live phytoplankton

Violin
03/15/2002, 12:01 PM
Has anybody used DT's live phytoplankton and gotten good result? If so, please share the info.

hartman
03/15/2002, 12:23 PM
Violin,

What do you want to use it for? This is my understanding of DT's, it is and algae most corals do not directly receive any benefits unless they are ones that consume algae like a Goniporia. The indirect affect is that zooplankton feed off DT's and most corals consume zooplankton. So then feeding DT to the tank will increase your numbers of zoos.

Hartman

Violin
03/15/2002, 12:37 PM
Since feeding DT's will increase the population of zoos or the nutrition content of the zoos, it should be beneficial to the corals. So why not try it. The question is, how effective it is? Will the addition of DT's increase the polyps extension?

hartman
03/15/2002, 12:41 PM
Violin,

What corals are you trying to feed? The only problem with just feeding is you might pollute the tank without my benefit. I only use DT on my tank for the Goniporia, if not for that I would not bother using it.

You migth think about just geting zoo directly and fedding them.

Hartman

Violin
03/15/2002, 01:11 PM
Theoretically, live phytoplanktons won't pollute the water, instead they will absorb nutrient from the water. However, I'm not sure how "live" DT's is. If it's not so alive, it will pollute the water. By adding live phytos to the reef tank, the number of live zoos will accordingly increase. However, if you just add dried/dead zoos to the tank, you are just running the risk of polluting the tank. It doesn't have the same benefit of having live zoos in the tank. You see where I'm coming from?

I try to feed my SPS because I've witnessed the benefit of feeding LPS with chunky food and I'd like to duplicate the success. Photosynthesis along just doesn't provide the protein uptake for the growth of SPS.

jcm1229
03/20/2002, 04:05 PM
So let me get this straight:

You feed phytos to increase the zoos and the increased zoos feed the corals.

I presently have a newish tank - right now it is a FOWLR (LR has some nice growth coming along albeit slow). percs, royal gramma, firefish - snails and a few crabs.

Will the DT's benefit my tank??

hartman
03/20/2002, 04:16 PM
jcm1229,

No affect. adult fish don't eat zoos that I know of.

Hartman

jcm1229
03/20/2002, 04:30 PM
I aked because of the following quote from Premium Aquatics:

Phytoplankton is a primary source of nutrition for a multitude of colorful and interesting inhabitants of live rock. Regularly feeding with DT's Marine Phytoplankton will promote the growth of the incredible variety of live rock fauna, while providing additional nutrition for the other fine filter feeding marine invertebrates in the mini-reef aquarium.

hartman
03/20/2002, 04:39 PM
jcm1229,

Sure it might help if you have little tubeworms and stuff but you run the risk of adding too much and polluting your tank. I only feed DT to my tank for one coral, Goniapora and I target feed it only. it is up to you.

Hartman