PDA

View Full Version : questions

Kelly68
11/20/2005, 01:42 PM
HI All:

I was wondering if you guys can give me the support I need to change over my 210 so it can be done the right way. I am planning on, if things go right, to be able to switch my cc over to sand and get new lights hooked up. Seeing I don't have a drilled tank, and I am stupid when it comes to this, maybe looking up a overflow and a sump. I am willing to learn......sick of listening to people who don't know what they are talking about...or maybe I wouldn't have gotten cc. But I know you guys seemed so nice at the meeting and all. Some advice, some hands on to help maybe. I would like sand...and Steve...we talked about at your house. I just checked my levels and my nitrates are high. I knew eventually that would be a problem with the cc. So I am off to do a huge water change in hopes to bring that back down.

11/21/2005, 12:50 PM
I will help you any way I can.

Kelly68
11/21/2005, 12:57 PM
Thanks Steve. That means a lot. :)

specsirl
11/21/2005, 04:03 PM
kelly I have a diamond bit if you're looking to drill your 210. You're more than welcome to borrow it. It's for a 1 1/2" bulkhead which should suit you fine...you can even drill dual intakes and do a sort of closed loop system for a more diverse flow. I'm willing to lend a hand there if you would like.

Kelly68
11/21/2005, 07:35 PM
Thanks...I am just going to go with the overflows.....I can't drill my tank. I appreciate you willingness to help though. :)

sarduci
11/23/2005, 06:46 PM
So it sounds like you want to do corner overflows with U-tubes? Ron has his setup like that if I remember correctly.

Are you planning on emptying the tank or just installing it while the system is up and running?

It would also be an issue of if you want to buy them pre-made or make it yourself. The DIY section has a bunch of plans I looked at when I was setting mine up. Didn't setup a sump, which I'm regretting today... =?)

Let me know if you need any extra hands with anything, if I'm available I'll be there!

ronkent
11/24/2005, 10:29 AM
Here is the overflow i have. It has worked out great for me in the past year or so. http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Wet-Dry-700gph-Overflow-Box-for-Saltwater-Aquarium_W0QQitemZ7727412643QQcategoryZ46310QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

jmkarcz
12/11/2005, 02:05 AM
I admire you will, I drilled my tanks... gave me peace of mind while I was on vacation.

Jason

Barky
12/12/2005, 09:53 PM
Kelly
I have been following along here and with that size of tank and understanding you want to set it up right check out a local glass store to drill your tank if possible. I had my 55gl sump drilled here at rib mnt. glass and was happy I did it. In the long run it simplifys the whole setup and I think you'll be happy you went that way. You can expand your system if you so elect without any room problems this way. You are on your way to setting up a nice tank take your time think it over well and you won't be sorry, well planned systems will last a life time, and mistakes will cost more money later on. Good Luck ask as many ? as possible. Barky;)

sarduci
12/16/2005, 05:24 PM
FYI - per the guys at Rib Mtn Glass when I took my tank in to have it drilled, if it breaks, it breaks...... I didn't have any issues, but just so you know.....

Barky
12/16/2005, 07:34 PM
sarduci you correct they will not guarentee it won't crack and my guess is you will here that from anyone. I do know most bottoms are tempered and that you can't drill without breaking, most side panels are glass. If in dought call the tank manufacture and they will tell what type of glass bottom and sides are. Brian

sarduci
12/17/2005, 11:18 AM
Some back pannels are tempered also on some types/sizes of bowfronts. I've bought a few small tanks (10 or less) that had stickers saying bottom and back (pointing arrow) can not be drilled.

Well, the back becomes the front, and the front becomes the back..... well, you get the idea.....=?)

jmkarcz
12/23/2005, 08:42 PM
Both the major tank builders are more than helpfull if you call them and explain which ank you have, and when it was purchased, and they will tell you if they were produced w/tempered glass... an BTW... I drilled my own hole... took 7.5 minutes, and after that, all was well. I've done 25 plus holes this year, only broke that 1 @ 55 gal. Would have helped knowing that they are almost all tempered... huh....

J