PDA

View Full Version : embryoguy how those onyx doing for you

zooqi
11/19/2005, 05:58 PM
How those onyx doing ? Any sign of eggs yet or spawning signs ? I was hoping somebody in this area with them. I will but not at least a month or two. i have other fish all over that need to move home again.

EMBRYOGUY
11/20/2005, 11:44 AM
zooqi, thanks for asking

i have a pair for only about 8 months. and they are a little over a year old. im ordering 2 more pairs in december from same breeder. im in progress of looking at other sources to mix the genetics.

the pair i do have are defeintly a pair now though. they have been doing there ritual dance for a while.

ive taken one onyx and paired it up with a SI perc. the female onyx is growing at a really fast rate.

you made a good point in another thread. i prob will not see eggs for a few more years atleast. at this point, im just trying to gather up pairs so if i lose one i dont regress in my goal to breed onyx. :)

i recently acquired 6 picasso clown babies. they are babies from the famous "snowflake" clown. so my plan is to mix them in the onxy from rods-reef.

time wil tell :)

i jsut discovered this forum. now that i know, ill keep an eye on this forum more.

thanks.

zooqi
11/20/2005, 11:49 AM
Cool, that is good to know. You are getting picasso,, woow, they are nice and I wonder how they got them to look like that. I know they have babies now but how the first pair came from UK that color is a secret so far. Great and looking forward to see pictures of them.

EMBRYOGUY
11/20/2005, 11:54 AM
yeah zooqi ill take tons of pics once i decide what digital camera i want to get. i recently had mine stolen in montreal.

dont fly air canada! hehe

yeah the picasso babies at this point only have odd/irregular 2 & 3rd bars. i have one that the 2 and 3rd bars are connected. should be interesting as it develops. they are starting to develop heavy black between all bars. so i think they will be onyx within the year. the mother is an onyx.

they definetly have unusual white strips. im hoping to carry that trait onto rods-reefs onyx. his onyx have the best bodies ive ever seen in perc. clowns.

but thanks for your interest. ill keep this forum posted with pics asap.

EMBRYOGUY
11/20/2005, 12:22 PM
zooqi,

im planing on acquiring many onyx clowns in the next few months. my goal is to have several good pairs. as a result i will have a few picasso/onyx clowns that wont pair up with the ones i have so they would need new homes. i would be interested in donating them to this forum if desired.

the only thing i ask is that i get some interesting babies from the breeding program :)

i have no interest to make a profit from breeding onyx. it simply is a challenge for me to breed good onyx. and so thats my goal!

i have to admit im surprised you have not achieved this already since you seem to be at one of the top clown breeders. onyx babies would bring in so much money for the schools.

zooqi
11/20/2005, 12:31 PM
That is great and we always share. Sanjay is on his way from Joe (NCPARS last meeting speaker) with some nice TR clownfish and will be meeting him in two hours to pick them up. Those who share are always welcome to get what we share and we breed. The only time we take money if it cost us money to get them and group buys or you know what I mean. Thanks for the info and good to know..
When you say that Onyx is mother and is father then ? Is that how they get Picasso or they just had a male Picasso and introduced it to Onyx ?

EMBRYOGUY
11/20/2005, 12:40 PM
the snowflake trait is coming from the father and the female is a regular onyx perc. i assume by looking at a pic of the parents. the snowflake clown is alot smaller.

its a name they made up i believe. this is an assumption. since ive never heard of picasso coming from anyone else. and in there pic of the brood stock. the female looks onyx and male looks like the snowflake clown.

i tried to buy them but that attempt was quickly turned down ! :)

im sure you and sanjay should have some amazing babies in the future. good luck with that.

at this point im just a "match-maker" :) but hopefully a clown breeder in near future ...

zooqi
11/20/2005, 12:51 PM
I don't have any eggs now and losing my patient. I moved my pairs to the high school and nothing so far. I'm setting some more systems in the basement now to do some of my experiments and watch them. I have tons of rotifers now and I know the day I see eggs I won't be doing much with rotifers and won't have any. I devided them to three tanks and now they are growing out of my hair.