PDA

View Full Version : clown trigger & undulate together?

hondaboi2000
03/14/2002, 09:27 PM
I just purched a 4-5 inch clown trigger today and wondered if I put an undulated trigger in would it be war? I've heard mixed answers from the folks at the local pet store? He currently is residing with a stars and stripes and one dog face puffer...so far so good...they all seem to be getting along fine. Are clowns compatible as long as they aren't the same species? thanks for your help

billsreef
03/14/2002, 10:07 PM
A lot depends on tank size, other tank mates and decor. Also individual personalities play a role. Both of those triggers are on the aggressive side, especially as they mature. It really comes down to a coin toss, hence the reason for the diverse answers you've gotten. I've seen those particular triggers get along and also seen them fight. Basically it is a gamble that needs to be closely monitored and than even if they get along at first the situation could change overnight :eek1:

Wolverine
03/15/2002, 03:49 PM
How big is the tank? And how big is the undulate trigger? If the tank's anything under 200g, then I wouldn't do it. When I've seen them together, one of them usually ends up dead. When they're small, or similarly sized, the undulate usually kills the clown. Once they get bigger, the clown (which gets bigger), eventually kills the undulate.

I've also seem them together, but anyone I know who's tried it long term ends up losing one of them.

Clown triggers are usually pretty good for a while, and then, out of the blue, they'll start tearing apart anything then can.

Undulates are just mean (Scott Michael says of them:"...often called the most belligerent marine aquarium fish available"). I've seen undulates kill groupers that could literally turn around and swallow them whole.

Dave

JDM130
03/18/2002, 10:54 AM
More then anything else, it depends upon the individual fish. Every Trigger I have ever had has their own distinct personalitys. Some are very peacful and some are down right nasty. I have kept many Triggers to adult size, some were more aggressive then others. I once had a BIG Queen Trigger that never hurt any other tank mates, However if I put my hand in the thing would always try to bite me, infact when he finally got me, I had to get 4 stiches on my wrist, then I got rid of it. I once had a Clown Trigger over 12 inches that was never aggressive a day in its life. When it was around 7 inches I purchased another one, they actually got along great and paired off. Before my son was born and we moved, I sold them to a LFS. They still have them both in a 300gal. display tank, they are both HUGE, what a sight they are together. Of course I had them in a 180gal tank at the time. I had a Niger Trigger that was by far the most aggressive Trigger I have ever seen, thats a fish that is suposed to be "passive" as far as Triggers go. I've had many others as well in other tanks etc. that were all hit and miss. But IME, they do usually get considerably more aggressive with size. I think with a Clown Trigger the size of yours your better off passing on the Unad. You may be fine, but IMO a nice healthy Clown Trigger is worth 50 Unadultis Triggers. Both are commonly more aggressive as far as Triggers go. And like the others stated, Unless you have a LARGE tank I would consider passing on this one for now. Sorry so long winded. HTH...............Jeff

NF22
03/18/2002, 04:01 PM
Hey Jeff,

I am from New Jersey also, and I have a general Clown Trigger questions for you.

I got my clown at about 1 inch around 1 3/4 years ago. He is now about 3 1/2 inches. How large do you think he can get in a 90 gal tank, in your opinion is his growth rate normal, slow or fast for the size and time that I have had him. I feed him 5 to 6 times a week on the heavy side.

I have 1- 3 1/2 inch Niger, 1- 5 inch Harliquin Tusk, 1-5 inch Powder Blue Tang and a 13 inch Goldentail Eel.

Thanks

JDM130
03/18/2002, 06:15 PM
Hi, That seems kind of slow IME. What are you feeding? I fed mine a huge variety of foods like, fresh shrimp, mussels, clams, crab, squid, fish (whatever is on sale at the super market), Like salmon, flounder, etc. always get raw seafood. I would also feed frozen prepaired foods like silver sides. I have found that buying fish and stuff from the super market is a much better value then anything you can buy at your LFS. Its nice and easy too. I would buy it fresh, put it in a ziplock bag and freeze it. Then when I would feed them, I would just brake a piece off and defrost under water. Also small feedings 2 - 3 times a day worked for me as well. Some fish it seems have stunted growths. I have a Minatus Grouper (Coral Trout) that I have had for at least 3 years, it has only grown maybe an inch since I got it. I got it when it was about 5inches now, its maybe only 6inches. But I got it from a friend that was practicly starving the thing, so I'm sure that has something to do with its slow growth rate now. But IMO a few small feedings daily and a variation of foods makes a big diference. HTH................Jeff

NF22
03/18/2002, 06:26 PM
I used to feed fresh seafood because of my eel, but my Puffer got really sick and died. At the same time my Tusk got an infection, so I stopped that. I thought it was parasight.

Now I get squid, clams & Scallops. I boil them and then add Vita-Chem put it in a ice cube tray. I also feed San Fran Brine Shrimp, Silverslides, Prawn etc..,

In speaking to different LFS, I was always advised not to over feed as the fish grow to fast for their fins and they look out of proportion. I think I feed plenty, but I guess not enough.

What LFS do you go to in NJ?

JDM130
03/18/2002, 07:34 PM
Wow, Ive never heard of something like that happening. Ive been feeding my fish stuff from the grocery store as long as Ive been in the hobby and never lost a fish from the food. I guess it is possible with salminilla or other bacterias. But if the food is frozen I would think that would certainly kill off any parasites. Anyway, I used to go to a place in Oakland called Mr. Fish, Thats the guy who has/had my Triggers. He closed up shop in NJ and had another store in Spring Valley NY. But I dont think he's there anymore. Anyway I usually go to Absolutly Fish on rt.46 in Clifton. They are expensive but they have some real nice fish and a big selection too. Later, Jeff

NF22
03/18/2002, 07:52 PM
I went into Mr. Fish once and I would never buy a fish from him. It was in the strip mall in Oakland. I go to rt 46 also. I agree that they are kind of expensive, but they have the best fish around. They also give some nice discounts if you buy from them all the time. THey just changed owners about a year ago.

I also go to Reef Encounter in Hackensack they have a good selection but nothing compared to Rt 46, but both Reef and RT 46 have good healthy fish.

Stay away from rt 4, they are bad news.

Wolverine
03/18/2002, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by NF22
In speaking to different LFS, I was always advised not to over feed as the fish grow to fast for their fins and they look out of proportion.

Blink...blink....What?

I've never heard anything like that.

A clown trigger can grow to about 20" in the wild. In a 180g tank, it will grow to about 20". In a 90g tank, it will grow to about 20".

Eventually, you're going to have to upgrade your tank size. A 90g is not big enough for a clown trigger. And definitely not big enough for one with all those inhabitants. Clown triggers have a wel deserved reputation for being fine for a long time (sometimes years), and then suddenly turning and attacking anything that moves. This problem gets really amplified if the tank is not large enough.

Dave