PDA

View Full Version : The display is gone.

just dave
11/18/2005, 03:48 PM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/59396SPS_1_year_rc.JPG

Got a call from my father ,early this morning,that the display tank was half full of water and water was all over the shop. He had stopped by to see the progress I had made on laying some tile(we are remodeling.) Got to the shop and it was a third low with water leaking. Removed everything and looks like it all will be fine.
No loss to fish or coral. I was fortunate to have a lot of room in a coral system in the back that we were getting ready to relocate. It was mostly empty but still running. We were able to remove everything,clean up and still open on time with nothing worse for the wear. The tank was 48"x48"x24" (about 10 years old) and it looks like it broke right in the middle. It made a X with one leg missing or a y like crack if you'd rather. It looks like the stand may have shifted/bowed. The tank was supported by a full bottom and rested on a sheet of Styrofoam without the trim touching. If it had broke with a open stand and tank just being supported by the perimeter it would probably have been much worse. I feel fortunate because it could have been MUCH worse.

Now I've always wanted to do a tank that was 72"x36"x24" but was viewed through the 36" end and make a long chasm. I guess the opportunity has arrived.

just dave
11/18/2005, 03:49 PM
And to answer a question that will probably be the most asked,...No.;)

bshumake
11/18/2005, 03:57 PM
That is truly sad. If you need any help moving/tearing down anything let me know. I'm not that far from you and work cheap.

MiddletonMark
11/18/2005, 04:00 PM
Wow, nicely done keeping everything alive and healthy!

just dave
11/18/2005, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by MiddletonMark
Wow, nicely done keeping everything alive and healthy!

I was lucky.

just dave
11/18/2005, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by bshumake
That is truly sad. If you need any help moving/tearing down anything let me know. I'm not that far from you and work cheap.

Thanks but the tank is empty. I'm not sure how I'm going to take the tank out as it is very heavy. I was thinking of breaking it in place and removing the pieces.

greyhawk
11/18/2005, 04:09 PM
wow that sucks but at least you saved all the stuff inside. the 72"x36"x24" sounds like a cool idea.

Rendos
11/18/2005, 04:28 PM
Man...and to ask the question that no one has asked yet (though it was already answered)...

Can we buy the livestock from the tank?
I had to ask.

crpeck
11/18/2005, 08:07 PM
So glad everything is okay. I know you'll build something even better, but we'll miss that wonderful display tank. You did SUCH a nice job with that .... just beautiful.

So lucky that it happened at the store where you have the resources to deal with it. I can't help think what a disaster it would be in a home.

Sorry for the hassle of rebuilding. You needed a project to keep you busy, right?

boofer
11/18/2005, 09:02 PM
That sucks, very sorry to hear. Im glad to hear you were able to save everything tho. Grats on that...Now the fun part:)

just dave
11/19/2005, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Rendos
Man...and to ask the question that no one has asked yet (though it was already answered)...

Can we buy the livestock from the tank?
I had to ask.

Wrong question.

The answer "NO" was a no, our stores insurance plan does not cover gender reassignment. I know that was on many of your minds as you were pondering applying for a job.

crpeck
11/19/2005, 02:13 AM
That last post just begs for a snappy answer but I cannot bring myself to do that when you've just had something like this happen.

Does the insurance cover the actual broken tank?

This is probably the real "no", unless you've been paying more for insurance than I can imagine you being willing to pay.

Sorry ...

acro-wrasse
11/19/2005, 02:46 AM
The answer "NO" was a no, our stores insurance plan does not cover gender reassignment. I know that was on many of your minds as you were pondering applying for a job. [/B][/QUOTE]

I hearby revoke my application for Danny's job
:D

p.s. Dave was in a surprisingly good mood today. I think he was bored with the tank and now gets to set up that indoor koi pond he has secretly always wanted to do:p

acro-wrasse
11/19/2005, 02:48 AM
Dave.....Do I have to change my name now??

cateyes
11/19/2005, 11:00 AM
Dave,, what a terrible thing to have happen!!! i'm really glad you were able to save everything.... as you said it could of been much worse, a total loss of fish and corals.....

i really enjoyed staring into that tank.... on the up side :), i can't wait to see what kind of replacement display you come up with!!!!

just dave
11/19/2005, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by acro-wrasse
Dave.....Do I have to change my name now??

Yes. B**** Boy would be appropriate.

Rendos
11/20/2005, 06:13 PM
Dave - I meant to come by yesterday afternoon, but ran out of time before the meeting. I hope to come down sometime next week.

P.S. - Waar is die badkamer?
Waar is die toilet?
Ku ndodhet banjoja (nevojtorja)?
Ain Alhamaam?
Our eh paghnikeh?
U''l ban~u?
Ayaq yolu haradadi^r? Vanna otagvi^ haradadi^r?
Non dago komuna?
Gosolkhana kothay, dyakhaben ki?
Gdje je toalet?
Pelec'h eman~ ar priveziou`?
Kade e toaletnata?
On e's la cambra de bany?
Ki laplas twale`t-la?
Gdje je zahod?
Kde je za'chod?
Hvor er toilettet?
Waar is het toilet (W.C.)?
Kie estas la necesejo?
Kus on va"ljaka"ik?
Mos'ta'rah Ko'jast
Missa" on WC?
Ou` sont les toilettes?
We^r kin ik it hu'ske fine?
Onde é o quarto de banho? Onde é o retrete?
Wo ist die Toilette?
Pu' i'ne i tuale'ta?
baathroom kyaaN chhe?
Ai hea lua?
eifo ha'sherutim?
aapkaa snanghar (sauchalya) kahan hai?
Pia"n-so'. ti" to'-u"i?
Hol a mosdo'
Hvar er snyrtingin
Ube esas la neceseyo?
Kamar kecil di mana?
Ubi es le w.c. (lavatorio)?
Ca' bfhuil seomra na mban (f) / bfhear (m)?
Dove e' il bagno?
Toire wa doko desu ka?
Hwa-jang-sil-i O-die Isum-ni-ka?
Ubi sunt loca secreta? Ubi est conclave necessarium?
Kur atrodas vannas istaba?
Kur yra tualetas?
Di manakah terletaknya tandas? Tandas di mana?
xi-v> shou-v jian-zai-na li?
Ewi em jirikrik in?
Hvor er toalettet?
Ont son los comuns?
Gdzie jest toaleta?
Onde e' o quarto de banho? Onde e' o casa de banho?
Unde este toaleta?
Gde zdes tualet?
Gde je toalet?
Batekamore e kae?
Kde je W.C.?
Kje je kopalnica? Kje je stranisxcxe?
Donde esta el bano?
Choo kiko wapi?
Var a"r toaletten
Nasaan ang kasilyas?
hong-nam-you-tee-nai?
tuvalet nerede?
de tut tualyet? (laznychka, uborna)
Ble mae'r toiled?
Nha` ve^. sinh o*? dda^u ?
Iphi indlu yangasese?
vu iz der bodtsimer?
likuphi itholethe?

If you know what I mean...

crpeck
11/20/2005, 06:47 PM
Wow ... Richard if you needed it that bad, you could have used the one at my house. It was down the hall and to the left.

Thanks for the pics btw. Very nice!

Cathy

just dave
11/20/2005, 07:44 PM
Dave - I meant to come by yesterday afternoon, but ran out of time before the meeting. I hope to come down sometime next week.
Ejjelok inebata.

If you know what I mean...
Aet.

Rendos
11/21/2005, 09:03 AM
Kwo jela ke kajin Pälle?

willember
11/21/2005, 03:56 PM
no speaka inglis...