PDA

View Full Version : Dry xenia

jlscrug
11/18/2005, 12:44 PM
Eric,
Another nugget for you...

I have pom pom growing up the glass, relatively high in my sump. I have 130W of 50/50 PC lighting my sump. The drain enters into the small chamber where the xenia is. My skimmer pump also pulls water from this area and dumps it into the other side of the sump. Point being that the 'other side' maintains water level, and as evaporation occurs throught the system, the only place that the water level drops is in that little portion of the sump (probably 7"x11") where the xenia lives. Now that all of the intro is over...

I forgot to top off for a few days and the xenia was completely exposed to air, about 6" under the light, for at least 14 hours (2-3 hours w/no light and 11 or so hours of full light. I thought it was dead and almost took a razor and scraped it off but I left it just to see what would happen. It took a day or two to fully engorge but it now looks just as it did before the accident.

EricHugo
11/22/2005, 04:07 PM
and Xenia are reported to be poor shippers...maybe we can see why now. Good story - keep up the confirmations!

SaltwaterDaddy
11/28/2005, 05:04 PM
I tried a Xenia from the exact same place in my tank ( wrapped in wet paper and another one in water); hand delivery to a friend. I wait 10 hrs before I brought it over. It sat in my cooler (under my office desk) where I tried to maintain the temp with a warm bottle of water (changed it 3 times throughout the day). I used a drip method to acclimate them both over a course of 45 minutes. The "wet Xenia" died in less than 48 hours (it didn't look good anyway). The other one is still holding on (after 5 days), but not as good as when I deliver them before (less than 5 hrs in a bag of water). I have to do a more controlled test (more stable temp for one), but thought I mentioned one of the tests I've done.