PDA

View Full Version : National Insterments - LabView?

breedenj
03/13/2002, 08:17 PM
Anybody used this before? I have been using x10 for too long and it is driving me crazy. This is one of the products that came to mind. There are drivers for a lot of hardware. Some people I work with may be getting into this for automated testing solutions. Here are a couple of sites that might be of interest as well:

LabVIEW (http://sine.ni.com/apps/we/nioc.vp?cid=1381&lang=US)

SuperLogics (http://www.superlogics.com)

ADAC (http://adac.com)

I would be interested in helping out with this project. I am a software engineer. I do mostly enterprise workflow application programming in visual basic 5,6 and .NET but I have also done some c++ and java programming as well. I don't have a lot of free time but if there is something I can do let me know. I hope that I can weigh in on LabVIEW in a month or so. I am planning on spending some time working with it and I will let you know how that goes.

dbernard
03/14/2002, 09:49 AM
Labview = $$$, for example to run a Labview application you need to have labview installed or have their executable engine which costs ~ $500. Then you require interface cards, more $$$. While labview is great for ATE and design verification it is overkill for a DIY or home use.

Just my 0.02,

Dave

bstreib
03/14/2002, 12:04 PM
Breedenj,
Check out the DT-194 on the dataq web site. The URL is www.dataq.com/. The datalogger, software and drivers is only $15.00 for a 4-channel. The datalogger is software scalable and requires a 0-10 VDC or less input from the sensor circuit. Hope this helps.

DJ88©
03/14/2002, 05:57 PM
Bill,

I was looking into using the dataQ card you mentioned but it is only 8bit. Over a 20V scale (+- 10V) that is 78mV per step. Since most sensors I have been reading about seem to put out readings in the single mV scale, this card won't work very well IMO. At least in this application. Unless you want to get into some form of multiplexing.

I am looking into using a 12bit or even a 12 and a half bit card in conjunction with a differential amplifier and then another op amp or some form of offsetting circuit to bring the OVDC signal down to -10V so we can use the whole range of 20V. Otherwise we lose a lot of the signal with only a 256 step resolution the 8 bit card gives.

Just something I have been working on these last few weeks.

breedenj
03/14/2002, 06:49 PM
Dave, I agree that LabView = $$$, actually $$$$.$$. I guess I am thinking too industrial size. I am currently using the AquaControllerII and I like it a lot. I just don't like x10. The more I use x10 the more I don't like it. I have way too much money involved in this thing. That is why I don't have a problem with spending a little more money and effort to get something that works. If the goal of this project is saving money over the current products that are available, like the AquaController, then LabView is not an option. However, I think that you can create stand along exe/dlls with the LabView developer package that do not need a runtime license. I am not absolutely sure but I am checking in to it. If that is the case then it could be fairly straight forward to write the lower level hardware interface modules in LabView and then use those modules with a more programmer friendly environment like Visual Basic or Java. To me the most difficult task is writing the hardware drivers and interfaces and handling the I/O. That is not my area of expertise so it may seam a lot bigger to me than some of the other folk here that do this for a living. I guess I have babbled long enough. I am looking forward to following this project, and helping if a I can. It sounds like a lot of fun. And an opportunity to learn some new stuff as well.

Thanks,

Jason

bstreib
03/14/2002, 08:06 PM
Hi Guys,
We have to design a reasonably priced project. DJ88 that's why I sent you the long e-mail, did you get it?? With auto scaling features, we use calibration at 7.0 [pH] and 10.0. 8 bit is better then, of course we need a stable front end. DJ88, you never answered the e-mail, still interested? How about you breedenj ??
If this project doesn't have good reliable sensors and front; ends for the analog sensors, we will not be able to to design a platform. Reliable sensors are the backbone of any automation project. If we are able to press on, we need the best on the best here. Some body has to say, what we can sense and how accurate.
Well guys, time to crap or get off the pot. We would love to have you with us. I have worked several on line projects, they all went bust. People always wanted their way, or their system, or give me what I want but I won't do anything to help.
Your both intelligent individuals. I need some help, want to join the hectic project for a while??
If we can't have ideas and advance the hobby or be informative to beginners; we have lost a basic step in prolonging and advancing our hobby.

DJ88©
03/14/2002, 08:57 PM
bill,

Yes I got your mail.. was going to reply tonight. have had midterms all week. Had a programming yesterday, calculus before that etc etc. been pulling hair out.. ;) oh forgot physics.. :D

I do undersatnd the cost issue. I am doing a study on VHO lighting and am already into it for a fair bit of coin for equipent. I am being as cost effective as I can.

Anyone have a spare 4 channel o-scope they can spare? ;) :D

Yes I am interested. Very. I am already in the process of building an interface for my PAR sensor with differential and instrumentation amps so I can hook it up and do continuous logging. It outputs at a level of .1mV increments. hence my looking for a 12 bit. I want to keep it as simple as possible..

As well I may be able to get some assistance from the automation, instrumentation and computer control Engineering profs at the school here. Plus a few others have shown interest. We have already been brainstorming a bit. They seem to love doing something different from labs and such. It wouldn't be much, but if we hit a bump or something that we get stuck on we have another source of brainpower.

I have to run as I have an instrumentation meeting in a few minutes. I'll reply to your email later and answer it as best I can.

Bishop
04/23/2002, 01:34 AM
I use labview a great deal, it's a good package but it's not the only option.

David P
09/23/2002, 10:50 AM
Labview came out with a newer version about a year ago 7i, This new version can be controlled via the internet. Unfortuantely I am only runing v.6. I think I have an "extra" copy if anyone needs one....