PDA

View Full Version : spittin puffer?

hondaboi2000
03/13/2002, 06:48 PM
I have a dog face puffer (recently got about a week ago)...He seems to be in great health but is a very picky eater...I offer fresh shrimp, formula 1, krill, but he doesn't seem very interested...The one thing I have noticed is that he spits on the substrate alot almost in the search for tiny inverts to eat?? Is this common for puffers to do and in time should he be willing to accept food from me rather than in a desperate search in the tank?

FMarini
03/13/2002, 08:36 PM
Hi:
Yup his actions are common, and he is looking for creepy crawly things in the substrate which he recognizes as food.

If you'd like try burying some of the food you want him to eat in the substrate.
Just curious have you tried live brine? I'm wondering if he wants moving food or he doesn't recognize dead foods.
I would tell you that i have not seen a puffer whih doesn't eat everything. So give it some time, and try, try , try. he'll figure it out
frank

hondaboi2000
03/13/2002, 08:47 PM
many thanks...have not tried live brine because i can't get it in my area...i have some frozen which i may also try..i also have a stars and stripes in the same tank that eats like a little pig...can't fill the little guy up..many thanks for your input

fish boy2
03/14/2002, 03:42 PM
try putting the food on a squere and moving it around in front of it ths what i had to do whithmy porcupine puffers