PDA

View Full Version : Planning a big tank, need some input

wavetwisters
03/13/2002, 10:41 AM
Hello everyone, I currently have a 110g with a few fish I'm gonna move to a 180 or 220 when I get the time and $, so I can turn the 110g into a reef. I have a Blue ring angel and a black trigger and Might be getting a marine betta this weekend or next and he'll go in there when he's big enough. I haven't decided to get rid of the trigger or not yet. He just eats so damn much. The other fish I have just can't keep up with him. Any way I was thinking about getting some other fish for the 220g and needed some input on what ws compatible with the angel. Any other angel's? I like the blue girdled alot, but have heard that two pomocanthus species will fight. Will a snowflake be alright. Just need some suggestions. Thanks for any advice, wave

EdKruzel
03/13/2002, 04:58 PM
Hey WT,
A Snowflake, or other types of eels are fine, provided there not huge in comparison to your angel.

Mixing angels is possible but at times tricky. Maybe another genus like a Flagfin?

Groupers, Lions, and one or two types of butterflies such as a Raccoon may work for you.

Jacks and snappers get pretty big, but research them a little, Yellow Pilots are hardy and popular.

Good Luck
Ed

wavetwisters
03/14/2002, 12:34 PM
Thanks Ed, The Lfs has a Baby snowlfake I was thinking about buying and raising him. Are they fast growers? He's only about the width of a pencil right now. They also have a zebra eel thats about 2'. I saw an all white eel at a japanese restaurants tank the other day and I can't figure out what it is, any Ideas?

EdKruzel
03/14/2002, 01:34 PM
Hey WT,
Snowflakes are nice, they grow from the stage as you described fairly quick up to about the thickness of a magic marker. After that it's not too rapid.

The Zebra (Gymnomuraena zebra) is a nice eel but shy. They are somewhat lethargic even by eel standards. They are somewhat more sensitive to water quality then other species of eel. I have witnessed much ship from the wholesalers with cloudy eye.
It is also the only eel I can think of that is sometimes picky about feedings. I wouldn't recommend the Zebra until you get a bit more experience with eels.

The white eel you mentioned brings three to mind:
The Gymnothorax miliaris which is small and supposed to be a nice golden yellow will fade if not given the proper nutrition.

The Uropterygius concolor is an almost pure white eel with some very small dark brown spots mostly about the face.

The third is not likely; it's not common and grows huge. It appears like something out of Star Wars and the name escapes me right now... something crocodilinus I think.

A better description of the head and jaw area, and approx. size would help. Juveniles of the Gymnothorax genus sometimes appear a faded white.
Then again it may have been an albino moray!?!

One more eel to avoid is the Green Wolf Eel. I know Frank has a horror story or two on the species.
They grow fast and get mean. No eel (or any predatory fish) should be hand fed, and this goes double for the Wolf Eel.

Good Luck

Ed