PDA

View Full Version : Predator Foods

EdKruzel
03/13/2002, 03:57 AM
Hey Frank,
How have you been? Hope the tanks are well also.

My predators are well and growing fast, they eat better than I do.

For my other tank I wanted to come up with an all purpose food for the majority of feedings.
I purchased clams, shrimp, squid, octopus, crab, and nori. I soaked it all in Selcon and dropped it in a blender to form a thick paste. I froze it all in small cubes.
Well, as I defrosted some cubes they maintain shape so I fed a couple to my lion. Of course he loved them, I think he'd love dirt if I fed it to him.
What concerns me is that with such a slow gbpm (about 20 tops) (which is an indication of metabolism) (round-a-bout) the smaller chunked food may pass too quickley through his system before being properly digested.

Any thoughts? Stick with the bite sized chunks from the seafood deli, or some of my cubed treats?

Appreciate your opinion.

FMarini
03/13/2002, 08:52 PM
Ed:
So sorry about slipping this post. My tanks are doing fine.

Your Volitans looks killer.
About the chunks of food. I would tell you not to blend the stuff too fine, but it sounds like you did. Irredgardless, meat is meat and protien is protien, so the lion should be able to extract the same amounts of nutrients from a semi solid hunk of protien or a small chunk (assuming similar volumes of food). However if the food has been liquified or partially digested, then this material will digest quicker.

The nice thing is that you can get more nutrition into a critter if you use smaller chunked food, than large. So I wouldn't worry about using a finer food paste, as long as the nutriton is complete.
How about this, if you are concerned add some"roughage" buy adding a few chunks of raw shrimp w/ shell or crab meat to your paste, just to give it some bite and body. I think your pasty stuff is spot on and as long as your fish eats it, it should be fine.
Your lion looks like its in tip top health.
My opinion
frank

EdKruzel
03/14/2002, 02:39 AM
Thanks Frank!:D