PDA

View Full Version : compatiblity

susan695074
03/12/2002, 04:54 PM
I am in the planning stages of a predator tank. I am considering a Fu Manchu lion, an arc eyed hawkfish and a maroon clown. Could this combination work? I understand that the sizes of each individual would have to be taken into account.
Also, what in the minimum size tank that could hold these guys? They do get on the large size but at least the lion and the hawk won't be that active.
Thanks for any help and advice!

Susan

FMarini
03/12/2002, 05:56 PM
SUSAN:
I see your asking about how big a tank, which means-> Do you have a size in mind?
Realistically i guess all three of these fish couold be kept under 50gals, maybe less. But you might concern yourself w/ waste.
The fu man chu lion will reach about 5-7", the other two fish equally the same size as well.
what kind of filtration are we thinking about?
Your right about the inactivity of the fish, which would bring me to my next point, most people that have a few sedentary fish, also have a few fish which swim around alot. So you might want to consider a bigger tank, just so you can add some movement to the tank.
Which way are you thinking?
frank

susan695074
03/12/2002, 07:00 PM
Ideally, I would like to go with a 29 or a 30 long. But I don't want to do anything to hurt the fish.
For filtration, I was thinking a DSB, a little rock and maybe 2 bio wheels that I have. I have a sump on my 55 and love that so I'd have one eventually on the other also.
I'm not too concerned with fish moving around a lot. I figure the clown will move some and I'll always have my other tank. That one is full of small, bright colored, active fish :)

EdKruzel
03/13/2002, 03:08 AM
Susan,
Excellent choice of a fish combination. Tricky part will be feeding the lion with a quick clown and precision swooping hawk, but there are many ways around all that.

My suggestion is for your question of tank size. Since you want to stay reasonably small, I would suggest the 40 gallon breeder from AGA. It measures only 36'' left to right, but is 18'' front to back.
This will give your guests room to get around one another and the few extra inches front to back will allow for more pleasing asthetics when you aquascape.
The Oceanic 58 gallon has the same dimensions, but taller. Also a nice tank however the price jumps considerably from the 40.

Good Luck

susan695074
03/13/2002, 10:16 AM
Excuse the ignorance but what is AGA? Is that a brand name? I typically just get my tanks from Petsmart :)
Also, does that filtration sound sufficent?

Susan

Narcissus Narcosis
03/13/2002, 12:25 PM
All Glass Aaquariums (the company). :)