PDA

View Full Version : Request feedback on questionnaire for next meeting

Jon
03/12/2002, 12:37 PM
Everyone,

I would like to pass out an anonymous questionnaire next meeting in order to try and get a handle on what the club as a majority would like to set as its priorities over the course of the next 12 months.

Please do not express you feeling on the topics now; lets leave that for the meeting. Rather please select, refine and/or add new information as you see fit that might be helpful in making this a useful tool for focusing our efforts. This is just a first pass at some of areas I know of that have be brought up by 1 or more members at some point and I think should be addressed. Let me know what you think.

I've asked that for each line item the member put it into 1 of 4 possible categories, which are as follows:

A) Must have happen in the next 4 months in order for me to stay a regular member during the next 12 months

B) Like to see develop in the next 12 months, but it would not affect my membership if it did not occur in that timeframe

C) Indifferent, but don't want effort taken away from other projects to make it happen during the next 12 months

D) Discourage, I think this would be detrimental to the club and might affect my membership

The Line Items to be ranked in no particular order are as follows:

1 - Conduct basic research experiments
2 - Make available a directory of members and contact information
3 - Provide reviews of Equipment
4 - Field Trips (i.e. Camden Aquarium & such)
5 - Support fresh water setups
6 - Increase regularly attending meeting membership over 30
7 - Informal gatherings (i.e. barbeques & such)
8 - Large multi club conferences and/or fund raisers
9 - LFS/MO - Discounts
10 - LFS/MO - Reviews
11 - Manufacturers support & donations
12 - Be able to just meet others & network
13 - Meeting place closer to my home
14 - Have a Mission Statement for the club
15 - Conduct monthly polls & reviews of members
16 - More structured meetings with agendas that are enforced
17 - Annual Membership Fees/Dues
18 - Published Photos/profiles of members tanks
19 - Raffles
20 - Refreshments at meetings
21 - Regular discussion of Advanced Topics
22 - Regular discussion of Beginner Topics
23 - Regular discussion of Coral care
24 - Regular discussion of Marine Fish care
25 - Regular unstructured open discussion time at meetings
26 - Regular Monthly Meetings
27 - Regular news letters
28 - Speakers - manufacturers
29 - Speakers - members
30 - Speakers - professional
31 - Trading - Equipment & Coral for FEE $$
32 - Trading - Equipment & Coral for FREE
33 - Unique web domain name (i.e. www.phillyreef.com or other)
34 - Privite Web Discussion Forum other then RC
35 - Web site w/o pop ups
36 - Visits to Members Home (limited attendence)
37 - Meetings anounced at least 3 months in advance

I know some of these topics may seem a bit contrived but all I'm looking for is a quick way to get the unbiased views of all members as to where to focus the club. I know we don't have that much time at a meeting so I want to come prepared to make the best of it and not forgetting to discuss a particular area.

Please comment,

Jon..........

amonhen
03/12/2002, 01:28 PM
Jon,

I think the questionnaire is an excellent idea. I would make this suggestion: post the questionnaire on this forum, and ask people to print it and fill it out before the meeting and bring it with them. I think many people have the capability to do this, and I for one would rather fill it out before the meeting than spend meeting time filling it out. I'm sure some would rather do it at the meeting; bring copies and they can do it there. Note that I would have no problem printing what you have already posted and writing A, B, etc next to each item.

Just trying to make things a bit more efficient. I'd be happy to help compile the responses.

--Jeff

John Nielsen
03/12/2002, 05:50 PM
Looks good. This will be my first time attending a meeting, the list you have compiled all seem like important details that should be discussed. I agree with Jeff too, I see no problem with filling it out now and bring it with us, that will give up more time to actually discuss the top issues.

raptor
03/13/2002, 09:20 AM
Jon,it's a good idea.We need to focus on increasing membership,raising money and setting an agenda for the club! We also need to elect officials to get the club going in the right direction.We need to set a price for membership dues.With all the money we spend on our hobby,a yearly fee is nothing.

VinceC
03/14/2002, 10:40 PM
How about setting up a anonymous poll here on Reef Central
For people who are members and cannot attend the next meeting.

Vince

glh7767
03/14/2002, 10:57 PM
i think that would be a good idea. this club was vince's idea originally, and with his school schedule night meetings are out for a while. he should still be able to have input as to what is going to happen with the club.

Jon
03/15/2002, 07:23 AM
I agree with Gary, I think Vince's point is valid and should be addressed.

What does anyone else think about posting anonymous polls here on RC that concern club decisions. Thereby allowing everyone to vote on an issue and then having them tallied and decided on at the meetings. Of course all results would be posting in the minutes that maybe we should then post on the web site each month. This way, as Jeff suggested, we can minimize our meeting time spent on business and more on doing what we all care about.

Again, this questionnaire was meant to provoke ideas like this and help us consider all viewpoints and focus our collective efforts in a common direction. Thanks,

Jon.............

raptor
03/15/2002, 08:32 AM
How will we know who are members of the club? We would need some kind of password to access the site/board?

Spykey
03/15/2002, 10:42 AM
I like the idea of an online poll. That would be the best way to get input from people who miss the weekday meetings. I don't understand why it has to be anonymous. You could e-mail the questionnaire to all those who say they can not make it to the meeting. That way you get input from people and make sure all the responses are from PARC club members.

Larry

glh7767
03/15/2002, 01:35 PM
it absolutely needs to be anonymous. jon, you can do it as easily as having responses DIRECTLY emailed back to you, and not posted on the board. it needs to be anonymous so that people can honestly and openly express their concerns and their preferences, free of peer pressure and others opinions.

Spykey
03/15/2002, 01:56 PM
If someone replies to Jon's e-mail he/she is no longer anonymous. I would like to clarify that point.

Larry

glh7767
03/17/2002, 09:28 PM
obviously SOMEONE has to tabulate the results. those responding are not known to others responding and thus are not unduly influenced by others choices. that is as good as it gets.

amonhen
03/18/2002, 09:15 AM
It seems to me that sending an e-mail to all club members and tabulating the responses is the most exact, fairest and efficient way. I'm afraid I don't see the need for anonymity except in the case of officer elections, but I see it as moot given my first point. Again, I'll volunteer to tabulate results if Jon doesn't want to do it.

--Jeff

Spykey
03/18/2002, 08:49 PM
I guess WE should vote on this too.