PDA

View Full Version : Sexing Royal Grammas

Gamera
03/12/2002, 01:45 AM
Is there any easy way of differentiating between male and female royal grammas?

I have a pair, and it appears they're doing some kind of social dance. I'd like to know if it's territorial between two males or something else.

:D

Thanks!

FMarini
03/12/2002, 07:42 AM
GAM:
Do a search in this forum. This question has been asked a few times before. If i recall they change sexes. Minh is our local expert w/ these fish
frank

OrionN
03/12/2002, 10:47 PM
If you have a group small of Royal Gramma's, the largest one will develop into a male and the rest females. They are easy to get into condition for breeding and will spawn frequently in a healthy reef tank.
I don't think male can revert back to female again.

OrionN
03/12/2002, 10:52 PM
When the pair is ready, the female is visibly enlarged with egg. The male entice her into his den, which he prepared in a crevice by putting debris and macro algae into it. They do their things in the den, resulting is an egg mass attach to the wall of the den. The male then often stay with the eggs until hatch, often at night. They usually repeat in about 2 weeks.

hartman
03/13/2002, 09:37 AM
Minh Nguyen,

I have only 1 RG in my 55G and he/she is doing that thing with the macro algea it is very funny. He goes around like a dog looking for a stick and drags the stuff back to his hole.

Hartman

OrionN
03/13/2002, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by hartman
Minh Nguyen,

I have only 1 RG in my 55G and he/she is doing that thing with the macro algea it is very funny. He goes around like a dog looking for a stick and drags the stuff back to his hole.

Hartman
If I were you, I would add a small RG or two. It is great to have a breeding trio of RG in our tank.