PDA

View Full Version : Brown Ugly Algae

heedicus
03/12/2002, 01:19 AM
Hello,
I got home from a four day vacation and there is all this ugly brown algae all over all the live rocks and glass and everything. I have a 55 gal FOWLR (1 yellow tail damsel, 1 neon damsel, 2 percula clowns). i am using and emporer 400 with only carbon and bio wheels goin. about 70 watts in random lights (all bulbs new, 2 17 watt 10.000 lamps and 1 40 watt 50/50, they are all new) i put phosphate eating pads in the emporer to try to help but there is all this brown algae everywhere. it wasnt at bad when i left and i had about 10 snails to hopefully eat em, well the snails were happly eating, then i leave and when i come home, all the snails are dead. i have some hermits and they are still alive, all the fishies are still happy nothing new was added or anything. there is about 40-45 # of LR.
any sugguestions?
i have been looking to put in a sump or referigium(spelling?).
anywho any and all is appreciated.
thanks
tren

kgross
03/12/2002, 03:49 AM
Please tell us more about the algea, is it a film (diatoms), or more of a snot type of stuff covering everything (dinoflagelettes).

Kim

heedicus
03/12/2002, 11:16 AM
i think it is the diatom, it seems to be more of a film than anything else so?????
thanks
tren

deucejimmo
03/12/2002, 03:16 PM
Diatoms are a common problem in this area, our water seems to have quite a bit of silicates in it. There is not a lot you can do, other than add a bunch more snails to help eat them, or filter your incoming water for silicates. An RO/DI will remove most silicates from the water.

Kim Gross