PDA

View Full Version : Shark Egg

h_casale
03/11/2002, 11:22 PM
Today I buy an egg that they told me is a shark egg, If you see it througth the ligth you can see a fish moving inside.
I place this egg in the bottom of my 160 gallon reef tank.
What special care does it need?
Is it common for they to born in captivity?
What kind of shark is it?
Can it harm in any way my corals?

Please give me your experience and comments in this matter.

Thanks
Hernan

JazzMan
03/11/2002, 11:23 PM
??????????

FMarini
03/11/2002, 11:51 PM
Hernan:
Can I suggest next time you research the fish first and then consider buying it.
W/ that said shark eggs are quite common here in the states. Yes you can hatch a baby shark, they are usually banded cat sharks.
Billsreefs says"
Banded sharks eat primarily crustaceans, worms, squid off the bottom and probably some mollusks as well. I usually have the best luck getting these guys to feed on krill and clams to start with."
These fish get about 30" long. As far as reef safe-ness, yes they won't bother your corals, they might lay all over them. HOWEVER, they may eat your moving inverts like shrimps, crabs, etc.
I would do a search (use the search command in the header), as this question has been asked before
frank

Wild Card-inal
03/12/2002, 06:10 AM
You just might want to supply some light aeration right near it. If I'm not mistaken, shark eggs are also usually tied to something like a plant or something to prevent them from moving. A small baby shark shouldn't be too hard to feed (wait until the yolk is gone). Give it some shrimp meat or something like that.

Atticus
03/12/2002, 11:30 PM
Don't shark eggs have to be rolled and burped?

Leopardshark
08/30/2002, 12:17 AM
Man, I canĀ“t believe there is still people out there actually willing to buy a shark egg!!!:p :p
Saludos guey!!!!
Marco

G_melacara
08/30/2002, 03:04 PM
If you're serious about raising the shark, check out Scott Michael's book, Aquarium Sharks and Rays. It should give you a clear explanation of the care that your shark requires (and maybe even help you confirm what species you have there).