PDA

View Full Version : Cyanobacteria Aaargh!!!

marshallcrtr
11/05/2005, 07:49 PM
I have had trouble with cyanobacteria in the past in my reef tank...After trying to vaccum all that I could out of the tank, I reduced the amount of time the lights stay on each day.That didn't work. Then I tried a medicine called Chemi-clean by Boyd industries(it says it is reef safe & safe for all inverts, desirable macro algaes, nitrifying bacteria and fish). The tank was clean in a week,and remained so for over a month...BUT...now suddenly I see small patches of the red cyano goo forming on rock edges. I really hate to keep dosing the tank it is starting to really look good with lots of coral growth. Does anyone have any other suggestions??? Please let me know!!!

fancyfish
11/05/2005, 08:44 PM
use phosphoguard or equivalent phosphate remover. also increase flow. cyno thrives on low flow and phosphates

Codeman00
11/06/2005, 12:08 AM
How long has your tank been set up?

marshallcrtr
11/07/2005, 10:01 PM
THE TANK HAS BEEN SET UP APPROXIMATELY 5 MONTHS. EVERYTHING SEEMS BALANCED IN THE SYSTEM AND I FEED THE FISH ONLY WHAT THEY WILL EAT IN A FEW MINUTES...THE CYANO SEEMS TO BE FORMING JUST ON CERTAIN AREAS OF THE ROCK...MAYBE IT WILL NOT TAKE OVER THE GRAVEL BED THIS TIME??? EVERYONE SAYS THAT CYANO IS PRESENT IN ALL TANKS...IS THIS TRUE???