PDA

View Full Version : Overdriving NO bulbs close to VHO Performance! Great DIY...

snow2000
03/11/2002, 11:51 AM
Hello All,

I had mentioned the other night at the meeting how I had wired my ballast to overdrive the NO bulbs to be close to VHO performance. This has allowed me to very sucessfully grow SPS corals in my 6 inch deep top tank which has 6 of these 48 inch long tubes a couple of inches over it. Attached is the link for overdriving a NO ballast Read down thru the post, there is also a wiring diagram for anyone who is interested. BTW I have been running a total of 12 bulbs like this for almost 2 years (yes I know it is time to replace) and have only had to replace one that I broke, none have burned out. SPS still growing and have very good color. Here is the link:

http://www.aquariumpros.ca/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90

Take care,
Mark

Reefer33
03/11/2002, 01:20 PM
I also use the same method and can attest that it works great! Snow- are you using T-8 or T-12 bulbs and how many times are you overdriving? 2, 3, or 4?

snow2000
03/11/2002, 11:45 PM
Hello 33,

Using T-12 bulbs, Aquarium systems Triton bulbs and Blue moon bulbs. I think they are running at a 2x, but it has been 2 years since I wired them! I hope to get a chance this week-end to pull the tank out check the wiring out, want to maximize and I have a couple of Metal Halides to add! Finally!!!

Take care,
Mark

Reefer33
03/13/2002, 01:12 PM
I run the same setup, using T-12 bulbs and overdriving 2 times, I think this pushes the bulbs to an output just a little over 50 watts.

snow2000
03/13/2002, 02:59 PM
What's up 33...

Do you have 2 bulbs going to one ballast, where did you get your ballast at, I am thinking about adding some more NO this weekend also...

Later,
Mark

Reefer33
03/15/2002, 04:06 PM
Actually I picked my ballast up from Home Depot it is the electronic ballast that will run 4 bulbs. I think it is like around $30 bucks or so. It is made by GE. I think you can get a similar type ballast from Lowe's for around the same price but I think it is a different brand. I just run the two bulbs off of it and overdriving them 2 *.
Later, Nino