PDA

View Full Version : Bangaii making noises?!?!?!?

ReefMD
03/10/2002, 07:24 PM
I was down watching my tanks tonight before coming to work and I swear I heard one of my Bangaii's making a noise. The noise was like someone was hitting the glass of the tank, a dull sound, not high-pitched at all.
Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon? Does the male make this sound or is it the female? I know for a fact that it was the Bangaii since he/she did it on both ends and in the middle of the tank.
Both fish ate today, but maybe this is a prelude to mating.

Tim

Sally
03/10/2002, 07:41 PM
Hi: You are not hearing things...I do believe that was your bangaii's since mine make a noise like that. I watched my pair closely last night and it appeared to me that the female was making the noise..she would sorta puff out her jaw a little as the noise was made. I was wondering myself if this could be a prelude to mating. (this pair has bred several time and I just reunited the pair after taking the male out for several weeks).

FMarini
03/10/2002, 08:28 PM
Trams:
tis the season......
Banggais are known to grunt, click and pop.
There are a number of reports about that here.
Here is a thread about 2 days below your asking the same question. Apparently its spring in the air.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=69473

frank

revjlw
03/12/2004, 08:18 AM
I had a mated pair, but they never successfully carried a clutch. they'd breed, he'd clutch, he'd drop/shallow/abandon them and then they'd do it again about 6 weeks later. Because there was so long a time span between the clutching I never pulled the male for a rest.

Well, one died. Don't know why - water params fine, no change in diet or tank mates, no diesease noted. Got up one morning and s/he was bumping along the bottom, sort of on his/her side but still alive. I tried to get him/her out of the tank - even really sick they are VERY good at evasion and hiding. Long story short, after that afternoon I never saw him/her again.

Now the sole BC in my tank - clearly, gender unknown - is grunting. I think it sounds more like barking or clucking, but that's just me! Are you sure this is a mating response? No other BCs are in there. Also, are you sure that both genders make this sound? It would have been nice to use this as a gender indicator......:rolleye1:

Any ideas about how to go about gettin' him/her a new mate - other than trial and error? Maybe a blind dating program for single again BCs? Thanks

kungen
03/12/2004, 11:51 AM
All of my Bangaii make those noices. It's mostly when they try to impress each other, to establish dominance.

Lots of damsels and clowns can make simular noices

mobert
03/12/2004, 03:26 PM
:) funny! I hear noises and I look for clownfish. But the noises are coming from the vicinity of a bunch of Banggais. Now I know....

Atticus
03/13/2004, 10:53 AM
I personally have witnessed my female popping at a yellow tang. She would do it any time the tang came near her "area". It was definatly a efensive behavior as the tang would act like he was going to strike her with his tail spine most times she did it.