PDA

View Full Version : I don't know what is up with my tank...

jenghes
10/27/2005, 12:48 PM
I first started losing my hammer, I iodine dipped it hoping to save it and lost the whole thing. Then I lost my clam (only the one close to the hammer, not the other 2).

Now, I noticed that by Regal Tang has ICH, I have never seen ICH on any of my fish before. I am really bumming as I feel that I am now wasting my time QT'ing my new 6 line. He'll get ICH as soon as I put him in my main display :(

What can be next???

Aquatic Aquaman
10/28/2005, 12:39 AM
Sounds like you're having a scott day with your tank.

ohioreef
10/28/2005, 02:54 AM
Have you made any major changes lately that could be stressing everything?

jenghes
10/28/2005, 08:16 AM
only thing is that i changed the salt a month ago

Aquatic Aquaman
10/28/2005, 08:35 AM
Wow that weird because when I started having all of my problems it was when I changed my brands of salt on my tank.

Briney Dave
10/28/2005, 11:59 AM
Jen, the same thing happend to me too, I did not loose anything but had some strong signs of stress in that toadstool, I talked about a few weeks back, I have not changed back to the old brand and the tank is back to normal

I wonder how much variations there really is between batchs of salt even from the same place, often I have read of people with strange things happen in their tanks and have had no apparent cause but may have neglected to consider even opening a different container of the same brand of salt.

ohioreef
10/29/2005, 06:49 AM
Jen, what brand did you switch from/to?

jenghes
10/29/2005, 12:22 PM
History:

I started with IO and switched to Oceanic a year ago. I used the Oceanic for quite a while with no real issues. I did have a cyano issue and jumped on the anti Oceanic bandwagon. So I switched back to IO, leaving a 1/2 bucket of Oceanic left. Switching salts did not help the cyano issue. You guessed it, the problem was my tap water and I have corrected the issue.

So I recently ran out of IO and decided to use up the Oceanic. So far I have done 3 10% water changes in the past 3 weeks. I have a hard time believing it was the salt that killed my hammer because I had the hammer the last time that I used the Oceanic.

I think that I will pitch the rest of that salt and buy a new IO bucket.

jenghes
10/31/2005, 08:39 AM
Update -

Hammer - Dead
Clam - Dead
Blue Tang - ICH pretty bad. He is eating, but spotted and his eyes do not look good.

The Oceanic is going in the trash tomorrow. Tomorrow, I am also going to get more IO tomorrow. Gary's is closed on Monday's. I skipped this weekend's scheduled water change because I do not want to put any more in the tank.

I think that maybe the ich was latent on the corals that I got at the swap. Did not know that corals should be QT'ed - DUMMY. I plan to do the 6 week QT of all the fish as soon as I pick up the 40 from Weimers. I have not decided if I'll run Copper or Hypo. First I have to catch them. Last night I started training the fish to eat from the net. The Yellow Tang is a real dummy.... He went right in. I could have caught him first try

Jen

NeuroLarry
10/31/2005, 07:22 PM
Sorry for your loss.

What is the issue with Oceanic salt? Gary convinced me to try it and I love the way it mixes. I had always use IO before. Since I am just cycling my new tank I haven't looked at Ca or ALK. I had heard at one point there was an issue with Ca and Oceanic salt.

jenghes
11/01/2005, 06:55 AM
Larry,

CA is high and ALK is low. Mine reads that way. I was gonna throw the Oceanic away tomorrow. Any chance that you want a 1/2 bucket? It will probably work for you. I used to use this bucket with no issues. It is funny that the problems occurred with 2 things happening 1) Change to Oceanic 2) the addition of new coral frags from the swap. I would guess that the ICH came from the frags since I did not QT (shame on me).

NeuroLarry
11/01/2005, 09:15 AM
I suspect you are right about the Ich, probably changing salt was more of an issue than which salt you were using. I'll buy the half bucket from you.

jenghes
11/01/2005, 09:17 AM
I am not sure if it is exactly half. Perhaps a little less. Say $5?

I agree, I think the corals introduced the ICH and the change just stressed everything.

NeuroLarry
11/01/2005, 10:20 AM
Deal. If you want to bring it to the meeting I can pick it up there. Is it still on for 27 Nov? Or if you want to check out the rock from PA you bring it then.

jenghes
11/01/2005, 10:26 AM
I would love to see the rock! Though, I think that I am going to delay the order. I plan (if my daughter will let me) to borrow her tank to create a larger hospital tank temporarily to house my fish in hypo-salinity. I hope to get rid of the ICH.

I am not sure on the meeting date. I'll have to look it up. Frankly I have been a bit laxed on doing things lately. I need to get the flyers revised.

NeuroLarry
11/01/2005, 10:46 AM
I read the thread last night and it has changed so much it's no wonder the date is vague. Last time I heard it was the 27th at 6PM Hot Sizzling Wok

jenghes
11/01/2005, 10:49 AM
I think that you are right.

Aquatic Aquaman
11/01/2005, 12:30 PM
Thats correct I'll have to update the TRACCentral.org website to reflect this date and time change. But yes we are planning on meeting November 27th at 6pm at the Hot Sizzling Wok.

Aquatic Aquaman
11/01/2005, 12:36 PM
Update on my tank with my same problem as changing salt. I added no extra coral or fish just changed salt. Scooter Blenny dead, 2 Cleaner shrimp dead, Female Clownfish Dead, Male Clownfish Death by Sailfin Tang after water and everything else was getting better, coral recovered and looking good.

Is anyone interested in a SailFin Tang? He's getting to big for my tank. He's approximately 6 inches in length, and about 2 inches wide (Fatty). He's very healthy and eats everything!!!!

jenghes
11/01/2005, 01:38 PM
Aquatic Aquaman -

What salt did you use and what did you change to? I just bought a new bucket of IO today.

Is the sailfin your only fish left?

Jen

Aquatic Aquaman
11/01/2005, 03:26 PM
No I have 2 Green Chromies left which are almost a year old, 2 peppermint shrimp and 2 cleaner shrimp that I bought 2 weeks ago.

I believe I switched to the Reef Crystals salt from Oceanic.

Aquatic Aquaman
11/01/2005, 03:28 PM
It was Instant Ocean to Reef Crystals.

Aquatic Aquaman
11/01/2005, 03:29 PM
So many salts I get confused. ;)

broden
11/01/2005, 10:04 PM
Jen, I use Tropic Marin and it seems to be a very good salt,but then I haven't had my tank up for quit a year,but have had no real problems yet either. the only thing I seem to have is a massive hair algae problem that won't seem to go away.

Bill

ohioreef
11/01/2005, 11:05 PM
IO to RC I wouldn't think would be too much of an issue. My understaning is that RC is made by IO, just a little higher Ca, etc.