PDA

View Full Version : Ozone vs UV preferences

Crit21
10/25/2005, 02:24 PM
For those who have experience uzing ozone and UV, I'd be interested in hearing your preferences and why.

Deuce67
10/25/2005, 06:12 PM
Ozone. Never had UV so I cant comment on that. With ozone, my skimmate production has increased and the clarity of my water has improved.

murfman
10/25/2005, 07:18 PM
UV will kill the good stuff you want in the water too.

Crit21
10/26/2005, 09:50 AM
I've read about the advantages of ozone--skimmate, clarity, pest control-- but I also see that yo uneed to use carbon to eliminate the excess ozone before it gets back into the tank. Any advice there?

COreefer
10/26/2005, 03:13 PM
Any advice there?

Continue to read...not many in CS use ozone. I would check out what Bob Fenner has to say on the subject. If you don't own "The Conscientious Marine Aquariast" you should. What is it exactly you are trying to accomplish with ozone or UV? IMO neither should be used in a reef tank unless you have a specific need. UV is designed to kill everything it comes in conact with. I would also add that I would not use ozone or UV on a tank less than 1 year old. You have to allow pod populations to establish themselves or you run the risk of wiping them out.

Deuce67
10/26/2005, 06:26 PM
I inject my ozone through my skimmer. The output flow into a box filled with carbon. I also run it with a controller just in case. I agree with Eric. I waited 1 1/2 years before I decided to inject ozone.

Crit21
10/27/2005, 08:52 AM
My 120 is 2 years old. I'll be moving all 150# of LR to the new tank, so it can be considered an established tank. I'm in no hurry to get one though. I have 2 UV sterilizers to use in the mean time.

COreefer
10/27/2005, 01:09 PM
If you are moving your things from one tank to another that is not an established tank. My reccomedation would be to wait at least 6 months before using either ozone or UV on your new tank. Moving 2 year old LR and sand will create another cycle and will decimate pod populations until everything stabalizes. The degree of the cycle is dependent upon many factors but even if you do not see an ammonia spike you will have an algae cycle and a cycle of micro-crustaceans. Allow you tank time to settle in before using any type of a sterelizer. That's my reccomendation.

Crit21
10/27/2005, 02:29 PM
Thanks. I'll do that. I sure hope my regal tang and singapore/queen angels survive the switchover.