PDA

View Full Version : Local Source for Lettuce Slugs?

RustySnail
03/08/2002, 07:22 AM
Does anyone know where I could get one or two Lettuce Slugs (aka Lettuce Nudibranch) for my tank? Apparently they do a good job eating bryopsis and other nuiscance algaes (for which I have an abundant source).

Russ

anathema
03/12/2002, 02:59 AM
They always have them, but not in their display.

They either hatch or come in on live rock, because if you look in their LR bin you will always find a couple. I usually have best luck finding them in the middle bins on the side nearest the door, but I have seen them all through that lower tank.

Make sure you know what they look like though, since I have also seen several other types of nudibranchs there.

They are neat creatures, but keep them away from your powerheads... They are very curious, but I have fished both of mine out of my sump several times now.

It will cost you $7.99, or at least that's what they charge me.

They do eat filamentous algae, but not at a rapid pace. Mine eat for a couple hours and then sit in the light since they become photosynthetic. If you were to use them for algae control I would suggest turbo snails first, but it's worth having a few of them for variety anyway.

Tenner
03/13/2002, 12:11 AM
Rustysnail,

You may want to ask David at our next meeting about these critters. David is an expert with Nudibranchs.

Thanks
Matthew

RustySnail
03/13/2002, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the info....

Russ

lori344
03/16/2002, 11:02 AM
Connie's in San Leandro get's them in all the time.
~lori