PDA

View Full Version : Bullet XL

JohnL
03/08/2002, 01:16 AM
Hi Frank,

I was checking out PM's website and I see that there is a newly designed XL version. It seems to me that it is an even better design. Have you seen it? Any comments about it?

FMarini
03/09/2002, 02:32 PM
Hi John:
Thanks for the question.
I'm not sure its a better design, its just different. It does add a few new features which someone might like, especially if they are trying to pull the maximum skimming out of their beckettheaded skimmer.
So what it does over the shorter bullet box style skimmer, it provides tangental injection, and that swirling water pattern which effectively increases contact time. The Xl also can use slightly weaker pumps as bubble inconsistancies don't directly effect the foam settling -althou more powerful pumps really make this skimmer rock. The aerofoamers has been using this tangental injection scheme and people really seem to like it. The downside is, the large XL doesn't fit under many cabinents. Also you have to clean the whole reaction column.
So now your left w/ a piece of furntiture which sits outside your stand and makes whooshing noises

Yes I have touched the XL. (actually I have the prototypes of this model as well-maybe next months article =^0) I would consider this skimmer to be in the same category as any of the aerofoamers, and the MTC 1000.

Another thing which I'm hoping PM will start incorportating is a screw -top beckett containment chamber. I have griped repeatedly about trying to clean the becketthead.

Either the Xl style or bullet box style skimmers kick major booty, they are considered pricey, but honestly once you touch one of his products you understand why. Thick plastics, seamless welds, 1/4 thick flanges, nylon screws, and spears gate valves.

Anything specifically you'd like me to comment on?
Thanks
frank

valid
03/09/2002, 03:48 PM
why is it that you say the whole reaction chamber needs cleaning? is it because this xl design doesn't use an opaque reaction box as do the previous bullett models?

how does the reaction time compare to the bullett-3? (got any numbers?)

FMarini
03/09/2002, 07:19 PM
Vaild:
The reason i say you need to clean the whole reaction tube in the XL, is becuz unlike the bullet box design, in which really only the restricting neck and a small portion of the reaction column gets fouled w/ organics, the Xl reaction tube(particularly the upper1/4) will foul w/ crapola. Once you start wiping this crapola out its start to drip and drop into the lower part of the skimmer. So you might as well wipe the whole thing (the full length of the reacton tube) down once the water drains out. The nice thing is the smallest XL has a 6" diameter tube, barely big enuf to fit my hand in, the 8" wide one is a breeze.
AS far as comparison between he bullet3 and the biggest XL. I don't have a firm number. I can only speculate. So I would prefer to concede this question to Mike. (I'll email it to him)
HTH
frank

JohnL
03/10/2002, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by FMarini
Another thing which I'm hoping PM will start incorportating is a screw -top beckett containment chamber. I have griped repeatedly about trying to clean the becketthead.

That's a gripe I have with my HSA too. Thanks for the info, Frank.