PDA

View Full Version : Any electricians here

stevescg
03/07/2002, 09:48 PM
I am in the process of wiring my DIY metal halide hood. I am using plans from a link I got on RC (DIY Metal Halide for under $100)and have come across something that doesnt seem right, heres a quote from the article

"Next take the other end of the 6ft piece that is connected to the plug and strip the wires. The white wire gets tied into the 120V wire from the ballast. The black wire gets tied into one of the COM wires from the ballast (doesn't matter which). Use wire lugs on both of these. The green wire should be attached to the ballast box in some manner".

The wire we are talking about is, on one end. the plug that plugs into the wall, the other end is being connected to the ballast. Here we are talking about the connection to the ballast
It says to tie the white wire to the 120v wire on the ballast, isnt white neutral and should be connected to one of the com wires? Also says to tie the black wire to one of the com's, isnt black hot and shouldn't it be connected to the 120v ? Are these directions backwards or am I missing something?

The Reef keeper
03/08/2002, 12:08 AM
This is a basic transformer wire diagram.the black and white wires go together because its a transformer (ballast) your greens are you're feeds (+)(-).so it dosn't matter which green is (+)(-).It will work that way only make sense.Oh yea don't put black to black white to white you'll fry something probably yourself.

jav
03/08/2002, 01:44 PM
bring it over some night and i will help you
its better than trying to type the info
and i have all the meters and tools to do the job