PDA

View Full Version : Am I Hearing things?

ranaman
03/07/2002, 07:04 PM
Recently I set up some Banggais as breeders. I have three 29's set up in series connected by U tubes using a canister filter to move water through the system. After going through the usual problems sexing et al, I began to think I might have all girls. I went by an LFS that had two beat up banggais together. I thought they had to be two males. So I bought one when placed in the tank with one fish. There was chasing a displaying and while I was working on another tank I heard a pop, then the noise happened again. Sort of a what was that noise then I noticed it seemed to come from the banggai tank while the fish were displaying. The next day since this new fish didn't seem to be paring I moved it into the next tank that had two banggais, not a pair but not killing each other. When the new fish was added the dominant fish started displaying and the popping was heard again. Anyway has anybody else noticed noisy banggais.
FWIW the new fish is indeed a male and now holding eggs.

FMarini
03/07/2002, 08:21 PM
ran:
you are hearing things and its the banggais. Banggais are well known to click (pop as you call it) and grunt. I have read this a fair nuber of times....
pretty cool huh?
frank

Wild Card-inal
03/07/2002, 08:26 PM
I've never heard of that before. Very interesting...

Sally
03/07/2002, 08:39 PM
Interesting indeed because I heard this same sound just last night. I had separated my male from the female for the last few weeks to fatten him up again before I added him back to the tank w/the female. (he produced 3 broods consecutively w/5 days in between each). Last night I was cleaning the tanks and had all the pumps off (very quiet) and I added the male back. The female immediately began to chase him and I heard this popping noise just as you stated...Really interesting. She even started the shimmy...but today they are just minding thier own business.