PDA

View Full Version : testing frequency?

innomen/dennis`
03/07/2002, 03:21 PM
Just a quick question, how often do you check the various water levels? I check my salinity often, but am confident that if the water level is maintained it shouldn't vary too much. However, are there any certain chemical levels that should be checked with greater frequency than others? And how often? I have been doing it monthly, all of the tests. Nothing really changes so i have been slacking off.

jessup420
03/07/2002, 04:41 PM
I would say that the stability of your system directly reflects the amount of care you put into it. If you don't want a stabel system don't check your levels. But don't blame the hobby or anyone else when your corals die. If something dies like a crab, snail or some other organism (a fish) this will create ammonia which is obviously bad for everything in the system. It's upto you, to answere you question I check all of my levels on a biweekly basis. and I check my specific gravity every evening.

jimbos
03/07/2002, 06:23 PM
Dennis,

IMO

I think a FO tank is somewhat forgiving in that regard but with a reef you need to check more often. Especially with a newer tank where everything is changing. I check weekly at a minimum (SG, PH, CA, ALK) and more often if I feel something is going on. You don't want your corals to tell you something is amiss cause its usally the last thing they say!

hartman
03/08/2002, 12:42 PM
Well,

The smaller the tank the more I would test since changes occur faster. But once you get the tank in control testing become less.
If you have a heavy bio-load tank test more, ligth test less.

For example I run test on my 55G mabye once a month if that. I almost never test ammonia and nitrites. I test Nitrates and CA and Alk. When I do water changes I will run a test sometime.

I also have PinPoint for PH and SG which I check every few days since it only takes a second. Also if I make some changes like removing or adding LR or anything I will increase testing just to make sure.

hartman

innomen/dennis`
03/08/2002, 01:25 PM
Thanks Hartman, that was useful.