PDA

View Full Version : Plan of Action - Here is how we will begin...

alligator
03/07/2002, 09:52 AM
In order to keep things on task and to make sure this turns into an actual project and not just a bunch of ideas, I thought I should start out by specifying how this project will proceed:

First, I am trying to formulate a board of three individuals who will lead the individual teams and help in the decision process. I have already extended an offer to one individual, and I plan on extending another offer to a second individual later today.

Second, once the board is established, we will publish a group charter on a web site to set the ground rules for the group. All work will be open source, and all information placed in the public domain.

Third, our first action should be to come up with a name for this project. I have already started a thread requesting ideas for a name. Once we have a sufficient number, I'll post a thread asking for a vote. This is where your participation begins.

Fourth, we will likely begin soliciting ideas in a brainstorm thread - but at a very, very high level. We need to establish how this controller will be implemented first, THEN we can start discussing features. Please be patient, but feel free to start posting your ideas (we don't want to lose any ideas).

Finally, individual teams will be established to create and test the actual components, posting their information as soon as it is available. When all teams have completed their initial projects, we should have at least a preliminary controller. This group can then be extended, if desired, to create additional features for the controller.

I'd appreciate any feedback on the process. I'd also like recommendations for the last board position. I have someone in mind, but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks! I'm really impressed by the level of enthusiasm this topic has generated!

alligator
03/07/2002, 12:03 PM
I'm happy to announce that the first board position has been filled.

bstreib has accepted the position, and will bring a wealth of experience from another group project. bstreib has also written a book on Automating your Home Aquarium System, which will be soon published on the web. He has also been working on a front end for a datalogger, and has expertise in the hardware side of things.

I have a candidate in mind for the last board position, and he/she will be approached in the near future.

alligator
03/07/2002, 01:29 PM
The third and last candidate for the board position has been approached. I'll let you know as soon as this person accepts.

alligator
03/07/2002, 04:46 PM
I'm happy to announce that our last board position has been filled.

dbernard has accepted this position. He is an electrical engineer who has worked on several large multi disciplined projects from start to finish. He also has experience in microcontroller programming, circuit design, and PCB layout and fabrication.

To recap, the board will consist of three members: myself, bstreib, and dbernard.

We have already begun holding discussions on how to begin, and more information will be coming as soon as our initial discussions are complete.

We're off to a great start!