PDA

View Full Version : filter for 55 and 75gal agressive tanks....

The Unit
03/06/2002, 08:59 PM
i have boh a 75 and 55 gal agressive tanks none of which are stocked because i dont have any filter...i will be puting a dwarf lion in the 55 for sure and any other sugestion would be great....but what type of filtration should i use....currently i have some old equipment[ magnum 350 and seaclone] would they do the job or should i find better filtration........i really dont want to so with a sump as i know people who have had a hard time and i would feel better without one....so what can i use?

cruzer
03/07/2002, 06:41 PM
Hello Unit,

I will try and help, if nothing else it will keep your post up. If you are not going to run a sump then your filer options are limited for the type of fish you are planning for. You may be able to use one or two Emperor 400's on the tanks. They are the only hang on filters that I have had experience with and they worked well. I do not have any experience with the Fluva or eihiem(sic) filters, but they may be a better or worse choice. You will need the best hang on skimmer you can afford like a PM Hot 1 or other. The only hang on skimmers I have used did not work for me, but that is me. I think when I was using them I was not keeping the water level in the tank consistent enough. Are you going to be using any LR?

Now above I tried to help with your question, but I have a little advise on the side for you. If you look at the money you will end up spending on two small tanks you could have a nicer large tank that might work out for you better in the long run for keeping aggressive fish.

I currently have two 55gal tanks and a 180gal. The three tanks share the same sump and equipment. What I am doing is running the 180 as an aggressive tank and am going reef with the smaller tanks.

Anyway this has gotten much longer than was intended. If you are in the set up stage of these tanks you might want to think about going bigger. Good luck with your tanks.

Rob,

EdKruzel
03/08/2002, 11:02 AM
Hey Unit,

Rob makes a good point on the power filters, two will be best.
A couple powerheads on hardware timers will keep debris up in the water column for your power filters to catch.

That SeaClone isn't worth the wrapping used for packaging.

Go big; go oversized for your tank. Live rock is an almost must.
Plenty of benefits, filtration + hiding areas.
Without a place for a fish to hide and feel comfortable from time to time you'll have a short lived guest.

If you don't have herbivores, then you can also bump up your lighting and add caleurpa. As the plants grow, crop the excess for nutrient export.
Remember low bioload, don't try and cram too many fish in your tanks.

Good Luck

kentrob11
03/08/2002, 11:09 AM
why don't you want to use a sump? getting the tank drilled and using a sump will make things so much easier for you. all you need is a cheap 20 gallon tank and walla- there's your sump! There you can put your skimmer and if you want my recomendation, mangroves. With such a high bioload mangroves will help alot and they don't cost that much...just my .02

Mad Scientist
03/08/2002, 06:08 PM
I have a seaclone and, yes, they are as bad as everyone says. I strongly agree with knetrobb11 that a sump is a must, mangroves are every cool, but, I would recommend setting a wet dry with lots of bioballs, it will be a nitrate factory, but, not to the point where you won't be abe to keep levels well in the safe range for FO. If you get LR don't forget, LR filtration only works in you have lots of cirucaltion.

kentrob11
03/08/2002, 06:13 PM
yup-I forgot the bioball part! Use lots of bioballs in a trickle setup before the water makes it to the mangroves and you have a great, managable system......