PDA

View Full Version : Exploding Nano

smokedsalmon
10/18/2005, 07:11 PM
So I just traded a guy for a 140 gallon RR acrylic tank for a 12 gallon curved glass nano cube. The tank is empty for now,I took his livestock and put it in my 135 gallon. Anyway I just went to a LFS and someone told me that nano cubes are known to explode And are volitle to any form of stress is this true, has anyone heard of this phnomenon ? I want to set the nano reef up but I have a 2 and a 4 year old. Scary thought, what do you pros know. Thanks and Peace in the reefs!!!!

Andrew
10/18/2005, 07:20 PM
The nano-cubes have been known to crack. I didn't buy one only because of that reason and that fact that they are expensive and you reall'y don't get much with it.

Fishfreak218
10/18/2005, 07:25 PM
yes....bad trade.....very bad trade.....a lot of nanocubes have cracked....especially the 24g and the 6g's but not a whole lot of 12g...i dont really know why

KING OF THE REEF
10/18/2005, 07:31 PM
hey fish freak send me a pm please we are local and i have some info for you about a club you might want to join

chuck22689
10/18/2005, 08:05 PM
i read on one of these sites that one reason why so many nanocubes cracked was do to a problem in shipping apparently which ever company was being used damaged a whole shipment of them. i dont have one because i cant afford them but theres an entire thred dedictated to them at nano-reef.com they might be able to tell you more

lil_fishey
10/18/2005, 09:36 PM
ive heard of cracking but never EXPLODING :D

abfleck
10/19/2005, 01:02 AM
If they dont crack they will start on fire!

Kinetic
10/19/2005, 01:28 AM
Here's a great thread on the cracking nanocubes:
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=60234&hl=

it talks all about the problems of them. there's a better option coming out: Aquapod. Same dimensions, improved everything.

Bad trade IMO, but who could've known such a popular product could go so wrong =(

Daemonfly
10/19/2005, 04:25 AM
There was a post around here or over at NR that said JBJ stated they were now aware of a manuf. problem that would cause weaker glass on one side, and that it would be fixed in their new models.

Wish I could find the link.

mobert
10/19/2005, 02:26 PM
my friends jbj 12 gallon cracked after being set up for about a year. For no reason, just cracked along the bottom and drained the tank. Really sad.

NorthernCF
10/19/2005, 03:16 PM
are they made from extruded acrylic?

Kinetic
10/19/2005, 03:25 PM
glass

smokedsalmon
10/19/2005, 05:43 PM
So the Question is do I set it up or not? I dont think I can reinforce the tank . What would you do ?

Kinetic
10/19/2005, 05:48 PM
I highly recommend NOT setting it up. There is a risk of it cracking and leaking and becoming useless. Sure it might NOT crack, but there have been plenty of instances of this happening. Reading the thread i posted before, you should be able to come to this conclusion yourself.

Kinetic
10/19/2005, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Daemonfly
There was a post around here or over at NR that said JBJ stated they were now aware of a manuf. problem that would cause weaker glass on one side, and that it would be fixed in their new models.

Wish I could find the link.

There were only rumors of JBJ actually knowing of the problem and coming out with a better tank.

I'm not sure anyone ever got the "newer" version and measured the glass.

smokedsalmon
10/19/2005, 10:56 PM
Does anyone have one like mine that has been set up for a long time without it cracking or exploding?

Kinetic
10/19/2005, 11:10 PM
checkout the thread I posted above. MANY MANY people have had both types of experiences. I think you'll find it very helpful.

Daemonfly
10/20/2005, 02:04 AM
Sure, there are people that still have some up and running just fine.

Me, I think theres way too many cracked tanks for me to ever feel comfortable buying one (not that I would anyway as I hate them).

aural
10/20/2005, 08:18 AM
I've had my 12g Nano-Cube DX set up for 8 months with no issues. I do minimal maintenance (2 gal water change weekly) and manual top off. My chemistry is great, the hardware is as stable as it were when i got it (just has coraline all over it now) and i have seen positive growth in my zoanthids, rics, and frogspawn that are kept in the tank. My 2 O. Clowns have trippled in size and are very happy as well.

The nano-cube is one of the most fun tanks i have cared for. it is small enough to see everything that goes on. I say set it up. fill it with water and run it for a few days. if it isnt leaking, go for it.

physicslord
10/20/2005, 04:21 PM
In my research I have found that cracking was a real problem with 24G, but very rare for the 12G. As with any glass tank, just be gentle with it.
You wouldn't sit on your windshield would you?

jg013c
10/21/2005, 08:09 AM
The front of the 12gallon nano cube is acrylic. I have heard that the back wall was glass. I have heard about the 24 gallons cracking.

Perhaps if you fill it with kerosene and drop a match in the tank you may be able to make it explode, but I wouldnt advise that.

steelhealr
10/21/2005, 12:50 PM
Sorry...the 12G front wall is NOT acrylic..it's glass. As an owner of a 24G and very involved with the cracking issue, I can say that most of the above is true. Unfortunately, there is a cracking issue, predominantly with the 24G, but, can occur in any size. The 12G followed by the 6G are least vulnerable.

Unfortunately, there are issues with latent cracks. People have had their cubes setup without any evidence of glass defects and have come home to empty tanks. Bottom line, the 12 is safer than the 24G, but, there just isn't a guarantee. My opinion? Since your tank is not setup..if you want a cube....look into an AquaPod or wait to check out the 'new and improved' JBJ cube supposedly coming out. It's just not worth the risk, especially in view of the fact that the company completely redesigned the glass (or so they say). SH

NorthernCF
10/21/2005, 08:32 PM
edit: NM made a mistake :bum:

jg013c
10/21/2005, 09:29 PM
Well I cant comment on steelhealr's nano, but my 12G original nanocube is certianly acrylic.

smokedsalmon
10/21/2005, 09:55 PM
After several attempts to post pictures of my nano I gave up . So all I ask is that everyone involved view my gallery. Then tell me not to set it up . Pherhaps I will set it up next to the kitchen sink and hope for the best.

Fizhstiks
10/22/2005, 10:04 AM
I dont suggest setting it up. Sell it to a LFS or something and buy a different tank. I recently set up my nano cube 2 weeks ago and it cracked last night while i was eating dinner. My dad had to run outside and turn off the power because the saltwater had leaked all over the power strip. I had just bought $50 worth of live rock too so i have to keep that in a bucket.

79Yota
10/22/2005, 01:04 PM
From what I have been able to find, the problem with the 24g tanks is that they use the same thickness glass as the 6g and 12g. I f you really want a nano-cube, you can always make your own.