PDA

View Full Version : Notes from a new nano with fuge

advanceinstall
10/18/2005, 06:58 PM
For a long time I have checked out this site and read every ones very informative posts then with much reserch decided to start my own. because stating a larger tank the way i would want,would have been too expensive i decided to go with a nano.

I have a 12 gallon acrylic cube style tank ( make unknown ). Attached is a 4.5 gallon refugium, a 1/10 horse power chiller, 96 Watt power quad PC light, skimmer, 1- 50 gpm power head.

Contents- 16 lbs live rock in main tank, 5 lbs rock rubble in fuge,
20 lbs live sand, RBTA 6-8" depending on mood, 2 feather dusters, 8 large tan fuzzy mushrooms, 12 puple mushrooms, 1 blue mushroom, 2 very large green mushrooms, 1 dead mans hand leather coral, 1 toadstoll leather coral, 1 clam, 1 doughnut coral, 2 rocks covered in polyups, 3 frags with i'm not sure what, 1 clown, 1 blenny, 1 damsel ( still trying to kill ), 2 shrimps.

I have read the arguments about how with a refugium a skimmer is not needed. The fallowing are some notable results from my tank.

I ran the tank without a skimmer installed at first.

1- As soon as I installed the refugium ( within 1 week ) I noticed my rose anenome increase in size and volume.

2- I had a rock at the time with 3 tan fuzzy mushrooms. Within 2-3 weeks after installing the fuge my three mushrooms fuzzy tentacles inflated larger into almost small bumpy clubs. Aslo they multiplied to now 8 large fuzzy mushrooms.

3- At between the 2-3 week period one of my feather dusters spawned, I now have small feather dusters growing everywear.

4- My toadstool leather coral extended it's tentacles to almost 1" - 1 1/4"

5- My doughnut coral since puchasing it never realy seemed to inflate. If it did, very minimally. I overdosed the tank with supliments and started a nasty algae bloom. At this point I purchased and installed a Skimmer to help with clean up. As soon as the tank cleared I noticed the doughnut coral fully infalted. Now playing with airation, it seems that disolved oxygen definatly affects doughnut corals.

6- Since the algea bloom I have ran the skimmer 24/7 to keep up the disolved oxygen. Also since I have noticed that my critters have stoped growing and multiplying. Since I have turned the skimmer off again and increased the drain speed of my tank to increase airation.

I am also going to start playing with flow amounts.

any comments would be apreciated.

MCWarhammer
10/18/2005, 07:20 PM
whats in your fuge other than some rubble?

which skimmer did you get?

any pics? :)

advanceinstall
10/18/2005, 07:36 PM
My fuge is split into 3 sections, the water enters the fuge through a 3/4" pvc pipe that extends to the bottom of the tank, the water flows up through about 3 lbs live rockoverflowing into the main chamber where there is about 2-3 lbs live rock and both feather caulerpa and sea grape caulerpa, then flowing into the next chamber where the water flows over live rock to the return pump.