PDA

View Full Version : Yeah! Newer, bigger, better! New (used) aquarium

Lutefisk
03/06/2002, 05:16 PM
My wife and I just purchased a new (used) 155 Gallon Bowfront and as you might guess we're pretty excited! We currently have a 65 gal. hex and a 29 gal. but we're moving on up to a 155 gal bow front!

Now, we just have to get the aquarium, rock, sand, corals, fish, critters, and equipment from Apoka to Oviedo. In the process I will also be changing it to a full DSB and adding MH lighting.

This means that some stuff will have to spend some time in guest housing. Here is what I'm considering

Kiddie pool - Live rock, coral, shrimp, star fish etc. (Kitchen floor?)
Plastic tub - existing large grain sand
Trying to borrow a 55 gal or larger tank for the fish

I'm hoping to borrow buckets (with lids) to move the rock and sand, beg a bunch of bags and tubs for coral, inverts, and fish, and find a couple strong backs in the Apoka area to load the tank and a couple more in the Oviedo area to help unload.

If anyone thinks moving tanks is fun I'm buying beer and pizza. Maybe Saturday.

Also, there will be a couple of fish that will need to find some new homes since I already have them and don't want to start turf wars. (Maroon Clown, Percula Clown, others?).

There are two kinds of reefers:
Those who want a bigger tank
And those who are excited because they are getting one

Does anybody know if the stock overflows on an All-Glass are adjustable? The previous owner ran the water level about 1/4" below the top plastic rim - nearly overflowing!

Paul

TROPHYKW
03/06/2002, 07:16 PM
Hey Paul I have the same overflow, all you have to do is cut the pvc pipe to the height you want . But if you cut it to short it will make alot of noise.

Lutefisk
03/06/2002, 07:57 PM
TROPHYKW,

The water level behind the "dam" is just fine. However, for some reason it is set up so that the water is a short level from overflowing before it flows over the overflow to where the drain and return is.

Thanks!
Paul

TROPHYKW
03/06/2002, 08:13 PM
Paul mine is the same way it's only about 1/3 inch from top of overflow, I have never had a problem with it . If you don't like it try reducing water flow from your return pump {gate valve} or try lowering water level in the tank a little hope this helps you.
Nick.

anative
03/06/2002, 08:57 PM
Congrats on the new tank!! Always fun setting up a new tank. If you need sand let me know, I have plenty from our trip down south.

Jon

smpolyp
03/07/2002, 10:09 PM
Congradulations!! The fun is just begining. Let me know the shcedule of the move. I might be able to help. I know the officers meeting is at my house and FlameHawk is comming into town, so i'm kinda strapped. Also let me know what you are looking to get for the tank as far as pumps,lights,ect.. I might have or know some one who has some used stuff or may be able to get it new. Your welcome for the reef meeting at my house. I love to have everyone over.

Lutefisk
03/08/2002, 03:14 PM
Hey, thanks for the offer Russell.

I'm currently planning on doing most of the move Monday (New update). The work kind of boggles my mind.

Set up temporary quarters - kiddie pool, bins, pumps, lights, etc

Catch, bag, haul fish, critters, coral, rock sand

Put them in new home

Get aquarium (260 lbs worth) and stand

Unload

And then the real works begins as I do some tune ups on the previous reef

Give aquarium a good cleaning

Adding a refugium and better lighting

Using rock from my two existing tanks plus the new tank to aquascape (I would like to give you a call to ask about some specifics on you pinning idea)

Major waterflow upgrades

Etc.

Cycle tank

Move folks into their new home

But - if anybody is interested in helping catch, pack, and load or unload, unpack, and release I'd love the help and like I said, I'm buying the beer and pizza.

Paul

PS - I'm interested in buying a used or very used 55-75 gal to use as a sump/refugium

smpolyp
03/09/2002, 08:41 AM
Godd I thing it is monday. I have a meeting with a new distributor and felt bad I was going to bail on you. I get out of work around 5, so call me at work 407-375-8600 or post and let me know when you are starting.

Lutefisk
03/09/2002, 08:48 AM
Russell,

I'm not exactly sure what time we're going to get started but I'm thinking of renting one of those $19.95 Uhaul's. That should give me plenty of space for tank, stand, and tubs and tubs of rock, sand, critters, corals, fish, sump, etc.

I'd like to think that by 5:00 we'd be heading back to Oviedo. It would be a great help if you would consider looking over my shoulder during the unpacking process to help keep me from making any big mistakes. I would sure hate to kill something through stupidity.

I'll PM you my cell phone number.

Paul

smpolyp
03/09/2002, 11:37 PM
I will give you a call tommorrow. Wish I could help all day.

Lutefisk
03/10/2002, 07:51 AM
Thanks Russell,

BTW - Is there anybody with a strong back in the Apoka area who could help with the final loading an aquarium onto a truck? We're targeting Monday afternoon. Not the best time I know but the only time that works. Or, maybe someone whose back is not so strong who can get on the same end of the tank as my wife.

The tank weighs 260 lbs so at least two strong people could do it.

Please PM or call 407/927-2222 if you can help for 15 minutes or so.

Paul

smpolyp
03/10/2002, 11:02 PM
Poop I did call you today. I will call you from work. Sorry just have so much going on with new a distibutor an the show this week end. I will talk to you soon.
Russell