PDA

View Full Version : Volitan Lionfish - what size tank

El_Chico
03/06/2002, 04:31 PM
I am inheriting a 6" Volitan lion and was wondering what size tank would be the best suited for him/her.
I am in the process of setting up a 130 gal Reef tank. I am leanin toward a 90 gallon RR tank which I would use 1 common sump for both tanks (sump would conatain a 30 gallon Refugium, along with the other 20 or so gallons present at any one time).
the reasons being:
1. only have to buy 1 skimmer - can purchase 1 Euroreef CS8-1 instead of 2 separate units.
2. the total gallons (combined would be about 270 gallons) and the benefits of the DSB in the 130 and refug would help the filtration process.

Would a 90 gallon give a Volitan enough swimming room when fully grown, and would it be big enough to share with an eel?

Any input on this would be great, as the only thing I actually own at this point is the 130 and dreams of grandeur.

Thanks in advance

Wolverine
03/06/2002, 05:03 PM
Many people will tell you it won't be a problem putting a Volitans in a 90g tank. I personally like to go a little bigger with them, like maybe 120+g, preferably bigger. So, to me, it would be better to put the volitans into the tank you have. Our volitans grew very quickly, and it got really big. Once we got it moved to a bigger tank, it seemed much happier.

I do think the two tanks being connected will help filtration in the small tank, but it may hurt the reef. Lions produce a lot of waste (A LOT). It would be a shame to have a good reef tank hurt because another tank is making too much waste. With that much water volume total between the tanks it might not be a problem, but it might, so you should at least be aware of the possibility.

Dave

El_Chico
03/06/2002, 06:47 PM
excellent, thanks

FMarini
03/06/2002, 07:02 PM
HI:
ditto......what wolverine said. Bigger is better. You'll be amazed how big these volitans get. zionks
frank

El_Chico
03/06/2002, 11:04 PM
I do not doubt that Bigger is Better (I'd love a 500 gal Pred tank), so would a 120 (48x24x24) provide enough room,or would the lion prefer the 130 (72x18x23)?

Wolverine
03/07/2002, 05:25 PM
That's actually a tough choice, since they're so close, and the shapes are so different; I do like the extra width of the tank in the 120g, and I think the lion could appreciate that too once he gets big. But, OTOH, the 130g is 6' long, which would give a lot more linear swimming space.

I'd probably go with the 130g, because it's bigger. In the end, you'll probably end up wanting a bigger tank anyway (everyone always does, except for Mr.4000).

Dave

El_Chico
03/07/2002, 07:53 PM
I guess the obvious choice is to save a little more and get a 180.

Thanks for all the help.

Wolverine
03/08/2002, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by 245gl

Yeah, that is an even better choice, and it will make you happier in the long run. It will give you a little extra time before you start getting that upgrade itch.

Dave

Wolverine
03/08/2002, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by 245gl

Yeah, that is an even better choice, and it will make you happier in the long run. It will give you a little extra time before you start getting that upgrade itch.

Dave