PDA

View Full Version : 2.5 Nano Questions

sevise
10/14/2005, 08:54 PM
I was inspired by the 2.5 pico contest at another website, and decided to try one of my own. I setup the the tank with a HOB filter(no media yet), heater, and some LR from my fuge so it could start its cycle.

I have no plans to add any fish. Stocking will be a few small snails, maybe a porcelin crab or pom pom crab, and SPS corals.

With such a low bioload will I need any additional filtration?

For lighting I'd rather not go MH, would it be possible to keep some acros and montis under 36w of PCs lights? I was looking at the current USA 2x18 dual satellite fixture.

K9
10/14/2005, 11:48 PM
Well, for your low bioload, 3 or 4lbs of liverock should be sufficient. I don't know about keeping SPS in a 2.5g tank though. By the time you generated enough flow to keep them thriving, you'd either have a milkshake tank from the sandstorm, or zero real estate from the pumps you'd need to put in there. I suggest some lower-flow corals. Some Ricordias and mushrooms are good. Zoanthids would be nice also. You could even probably get away with some trumpets or blastos if your light was enough. The 2x18w PCs sound good. MH is definitely out of the question on a 2.5g tank. That would be a big heat issue, waste of electricity and definite overkill. Good decision going with PCs instead. :thumbsup:

pimp2daizzo
10/15/2005, 09:55 AM
Well u may be able to do sps...but u will need a rio 50 and put it on the side wall blow over the back wall and your sps will need to be in the flow...but u will not be bale to get low and med flow corals...well u can just have to make the flow brake somewhere and thats not to ez to do

sevise
10/15/2005, 12:10 PM
Zoanthids it is then...

ToUcHoFeLeGaNcE
10/15/2005, 12:25 PM
ive had monti's do well in a 5gal minibow, now getting ready to add a orange and a purple digi and MAYbe a small cap frag in my 2.5gal minibow. On the 2.5gal im using the current 18w fixture with the moonlight. Flow is comming from my ac20, temp is stayin between 74-76at night and 78-80mid day. With NO heater. Currently have frogspawn, candycane, ric's, yumas, zoo's, Gsp, and shrooms in the 2.5gal all is well.

Good luck.

Touch.

ahchung
10/17/2005, 11:36 AM
If you plan to host a SPS, I suggest you get a small hang-on filter and add some chemical filtering materials such as de*nitrate. This will minimize your NO3 level.

fella1320
10/18/2005, 01:07 PM
i wouldnt say that mh is out of the question at all ninjafish has the most amazing 2.5 pico i have ever seen and he has a 70watt mh on his tank which has more than 20x turn over and the water is as clear as can be!! check out the thread

nebraskareef
10/18/2005, 09:57 PM
Exactly.

MH is anything BUT "out of the question" on a 2.5g tank. It's been done succesfully MANY TIMES.

LOLLERSKATES!