PDA

View Full Version : emergency call list

thephoenix48
03/05/2002, 06:15 PM
Hey gang, I would like to bounce an idea off you. If you are like me you fear vacations because the thought of leaving your tank with novice house sitter scares the s____ out of you. I have some people I trust to watch the tank but in the case of an emergency I really need someone who knows reefs and can look at plumbing and figure out what goes where. It would be great if we had a call list of reefers who would be willing to get a call and help out in the case of an emergency . I would be willing to maintain the list and develope some procedures in case one of us has an all out disaster. (God forbid) What do you think?

On another subject...Grif I would be interested in a trip to PA. I will be gone for two weeks in April but maybe we can schedule around that.

Henry

grif
03/05/2002, 06:19 PM
Henry, awesome idea. Add me to the list of folks willing to tank-sit. If you're out of town in April I'm willing to be the one to watch yours then since you're right around the corner from me. If you just need me on standby instead (If Mrs Phoenix is not traveling with you) then I'm willing to be the on-call person

PA trip - I'll add you to the list.

grif
03/06/2002, 04:17 PM
JINX!!!

Timing appears to be everything. I got a desparate call from my wife this morning (out of town briefly) that the tank was "leaking and flooding the floor"!!!

It turned out not to be leaking, but overflowing (small but important difference) and the overflow (CPR) had vapor-locked and the return pump had caused the sump to nearly dry up and overflow the tank. I talked her through it (not exactly a simple thing given she's not totally up on the names of everything I had to have her touch etc...). I'll tell you, a list like the one proposed here would have been a huge help.

I just though everybody might like to hear a 'real' experience on why something like this would be so helpful.

thephoenix48
03/06/2002, 05:22 PM
This is exactly what I was talking about. It is not important until it happens to you and then what. You were lucky you could "instruct" you way thru that. Leave my number on the frig and have her call me next time. Wouldn't it be nice to come home and get "well the tank overflowed but so and so came over and fixed it...not to worry." That would be nice.

NorthCoast
03/06/2002, 10:02 PM
I have also come home to find things really wrong, all the while getting reports like "tank looks good". My current list is getting shorter so I would entertain the offer of having an "expert on call" list. I would also give my name as a contact, however, we would have to work out the publishing and distribution of such a list... :)

Just my 2 cents,
NC

grif
03/07/2002, 07:51 PM
You're not gonna believe this.

It happened again tonight. I got her through it again but I really need an alternate here.

Henry - I appreciate the offer, but have misplaced your numbers. If you can email them to me at stan@griffis.com I'll give them to my wife.

Boy is she steamed.

thephoenix48
03/07/2002, 08:26 PM
Northcoast, your reply certainly got me to thinking. I tend to trust everyone and had not given phone number confidentiality any thought. You certainly do have a point. Got any ideas? Maybe one person in control of the list willing to call others for help as the need arises? Or maybe some type of call ladder? I am open to suggestions.

Henry

grif
03/07/2002, 09:29 PM
Good point. I think for folks I have already met I'd be fine with it, but for others....

Hopefully once we get the bi-monthly meeting going we'll all have met each other and feel a little better about who would have who's #. I know I can vouch for a number of the folks, but not all.

We might need something other than a ladder because if there is one person who controls it, and we can't get a hold of them when there is a problem, then it might not work out too well. I think one way would be to coordinate before trips etc who a primary and backup (and 2nd backup?) are for that upcoming time period instead.

BTW - Henry, thanks for agreeing to be my 'lifeline' for the current *challenges*.

grif
03/12/2002, 07:55 PM
I was just bouncing around other reef club sites here on RC and noticed Boston (MA) has a similar initiative going on. Here is the link to their thread:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=69604

After reading it I wasn't sure how to go forward with this. I think being a smaller group we'd have less to worry about since we could all hopefully get to know each other before we'd hand over keys etc...

NorthCoast
03/12/2002, 10:33 PM
I read the other thread, and, here are some thoughts the list:

1) I will still use my normal house/tank sitters for feeding and checking things daily.
2) The way I would initially use a list would be emergency contacts for the sitter. This way more experienced reefers could be consulted or called upon to assist without the concern with regard to key, security code, etc...
3) From the compiled list at large I would still pre-arrange for a primary and secondary contact so my sitter wouldn't have to make a "cold" call. I want to know my sitter will get someone available and willing to assist prior to my departure.
4) It very well could be that my sitter is on the list to begin with...
5) Feedback (good or bad) should be openly given and respected by the group.

Here are some thoughts on the contents of the list:

1) I don't have an issue of having my email contact information on the list.
2) I will gladly share my phone number with a known reefer or after some introduction and correspondence.
3) The list should include standard information on experience, current setup, and special skills (a reefer resume). This way those questions will be answered once by everyone and be consistent with everyone on the list.
4) The list should also include general location (e.g. Westerville, Dublin, Newark, etc..) and possible limitations to travel (e.g. Sunbury to North Westerville only).
5) The list should include any known limitations to schedule (e.g. never on Tuesday and Thursdays).

Just a few things off the top of my head,
Mark

NorthCoast
03/18/2002, 01:19 PM
^

Any more thoughts?

:)

thephoenix48
03/18/2002, 06:29 PM
No need to have any more thoughts. The lack of response precludes ever coming up with a list much less formulating any rules for its use. I thought I would just let it die a quiet death.

HM

mark ryczko
03/18/2002, 06:37 PM
I just found this site and signed up. It looks like a couple of you are in the Westerville area. I don't have a tank set up yet but I am getting ready. I don't know too much about reef tanks yet but I can help out people in the Westerville area if you are out of town. I am a mechanical engineer and have had fresh water fish for years so I should be a good student to learn the systems and help you guys out if need be.

NorthCoast
03/18/2002, 08:47 PM
Mark,

WELCOME!

I think you'll find people on this board are very helpful. The folks that I have associated with in the Columbus area are a good bunch of folks to know, and, we're looking to grow the network. So thanks for the offer to assist.

Now, if you've got questions, need ideas or just want a second (or third) opinion do not hesitate. :) And, let us know what you're planning... we all like to live vicariously through a new tank setup.

Later,
Mark

NorthCoast
03/18/2002, 08:49 PM
Henry,

You can add me to your short list then... we can start simple and informal and see were it goes. :)

Later,
Mark

mnreefer
03/22/2002, 10:03 PM
Hello Columbus,

I am new to the area and living in temp housing for a few months, but I too will be setting up a tank again once I am in my permanent home. I look forward to asking for and receiving everyones input to make my tank awesome. I will probably be doing an SPS / inverts only tank ... although I will have to put in a Hammer Coral to keep my wife happy.

I love the idea of a call list for vacations. Seems like things only go wrong when we are out of town.

I agree that we shouldn't simply publish numbers and addresses.
Instead, an informal membership agreement needs to be met.

We just finished formalizing our club in Minneapolis and I have a few suggestions that might help you all out.

For those of you that have been in Columbus, I suggest you exchange info and start the process amongst yourselves since you are comfortable. Now, I come along, and you don't know me from Adam, you should require that I attend X number of functions within X time frame to get added to the list. While I realize that you don't have formal functions, we didn't either in Minneapolis.

It started as an ad hoc function and became more formal over time. Not the club, but the process.

Enough Rambling .....

I'm excited to be in Columbus and I look forward to meeting all of the Columbus reefers.

Pete

NorthCoast
03/22/2002, 11:01 PM
Pete,

Welcome to Columbus, Ohio!

Later,
Mark

tholts
03/30/2002, 08:50 AM
It's been a while since I checked this forum and just found this thread.

Please add me to the list of tank watchers. I am however a novice.

Also, since I work at home, I would be willing to maintain the list and be the contact person.

Trent

geo
03/31/2002, 09:39 PM
I would be more than happy to help a fellow reefer as well. Even if its an "emergency": type thing. Like where the normal fish feeder/tank sitter sees a problem that needs attending. someone, even a novice, who has been in the hobby has a better feel for the basic equipment and how things should be.

thephoenix48
04/06/2002, 12:32 PM
There are four or five people interested enough to get this emergency call list going. I will be gone for the next two weeks but upon my return I will contact each of you who has expressed an interest for a get together to talk about our tanks and which way we can safely proceed. Thanks to everyone who said they would help. I think this is a good thing to start for our group.

Henry