PDA

View Full Version : Turf (or anybody), you think I could try a toadstool?

Deacon
03/05/2002, 04:29 PM
Turf, you're the soft coral guy, right?

We currently have some 'shrooms and GSP that are doing fine, but I don't supplement any calcium (or anything else for that matter). The lighting is 320 watts of VHO plus a 15watt moonlight on a 125 gal.

I'd like to get a toadstool leather (sarcophyton...i think is the name for these). Would my tank be a good home for one of these or would the poor thing be condemned to a slow death?

tcaquati
03/05/2002, 10:27 PM
Deacon,

Talk to mike he has a nice toadstool, that he might frag. It shoud do just fine under your lights.

HTH

Chad & Tina

Turf
03/06/2002, 12:12 PM
If you saw my set up... you would have no question as to if it would survive or not. My tank has minimal lighting and flow, however the toadstool would probably do it's best in a mid flow area. I've seen it both way, low to med flow.

India
03/06/2002, 12:16 PM
What are some of the things that keeps a toadstool from thriving?
A friend with a desk-top reef keeps a toadstool that extends it's tentacles in a beautiful lush feathery form...it grows and grows and he keeps fraging it....my piece developes tentacles that are only 1/4 inch long, is often smooth and never grows...
Thank you,
India

mtellin
03/06/2002, 01:35 PM
It would work better in a moderate flow area, it may take some getting used to but believe me its better in the long run, plus you dont want detritus to settle on it or it will constantly be shedding. Mine is at the very bottom of my tank in what I would consider a fairly high flow area and constantly has sweepers out.