PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Colony Polyp

Brooks_McClary
10/14/2005, 11:58 AM
I made a big mistake...

I fed my yellow colony polyps. OMG, they grow fast. They have doubled in number in the last month. I am very happy about this, but now I am concerned that they will out-compete my other corals for space. I am sending off frags to my local friends reef tanks but im sure that they will continue to grow.

1) will they out-sting other corals and kill them?
2) has anyone had these grow to problem levels?

I might have too much of a good thing. With a 20 gal nano, space is at a premium. I currently have about 16 different species of sessile invert. They are all growing quickly and im getting nervous. I have my eye on about 6 or 7 more "must have" corals that I need to fit in too.

Jovreefer
10/14/2005, 01:18 PM
They are another deamon weed...grow like crazy just like GSP but worse because they have a pretty decent stinging power.

I have a colony on a very small rock sitting WAY out away from my rock structure and it grows over the sand, I just rip out the pieces on the sand and toss.

I'd stop feeding it if I were you unless you like ALOT of yellow.

Sugar Magnolia
10/14/2005, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Brooks_McClary
They are all growing quickly and im getting nervous. I have my eye on about 6 or 7 more "must have" corals that I need to fit in too.
IMO, the invasive species of corals, like GSP, xenia, anthelia, calvularia, protoplay's, etc should be placed in nano's in an area that keeps them isolated from the main rock structure. Most grow like weeds as mentioned and have the potential to overtake other corals. Right now I have a colony of orange zoos that are now growing onto the underside of my orange monti cap. Not cool. :mad2:

ToUcHoFeLeGaNcE
10/14/2005, 03:33 PM
what did you feed them?

pimp2daizzo
10/15/2005, 10:00 AM
DONT PUT KALK IN THE TANK lol you wont have anyhting besides them

Brooks_McClary
10/15/2005, 02:00 PM
I have feed them Hikari Ocean Plankton, brine and phyto plankton. I pulled off some frags today to give to friends.

As they grow, will they kill mushrooms, ricordia, leathers and other polyps that they grow close to? If that this the case, out they go.

If they will not kill the other coals but come to an "armed truce" I can live with them.

steelhealr
10/17/2005, 02:53 PM
Hi..I agree with Sugar Magnolia. Many people are hasty in adding corals that are beautiful without fully understanding how they behave in good water conditions and lighting. Yellow colony polyps can be a nuisance. Pulsing xenia can spread rapidly. They literally can behave like weeds in our very small tanks.

Zoanthids can secrete a toxin and can put up a good 'coral fight'. Choose corals carefully, place them carefully and plan spacing for future growth. SH