PDA

View Full Version : Nano Cubes and Bio Ball Experiences with Reef Tanks?

jedavis3
10/13/2005, 03:36 PM
Im curious about other experiences using Bio Balls with the Nano Cube System the way it was designed. I have been hearing that if you are keeping Corals, not to use the Bio Balls. That the Bio Balls are only beneficial for Fish Only.

Now if you are keeping both fish and corals, does the same thought process apply?

Bobalouy
10/14/2005, 10:10 AM
They say the directions actually tell you to take them out if you are Keeping Saltwater, or a Reef. Mine didnt come with directions, but Either way Id take them out.

People that leave them in, usually run into Nitrate problems.

reefwick
10/14/2005, 12:10 PM
Bobalouy is right on. It tells you to take them out for salt or a reef and they do cause nitrate problems. I left mine in for the first 2 months and I could never get my nitrate down, I took the out and now no more problems. Oh by the way a yellow tang in a 24 gallon??? Well i'm sure you've already got enough crap about that.

steelhealr
10/17/2005, 03:00 PM
Hi..been running my 24G since startup with:

NO SPONGES
NO BIOBALLS
NO BEADS.

Nitrates run about 5-10PPM which is fine by me. SH

waterman78
10/18/2005, 02:11 AM
steelhealr....one question: how do you have your filtering system set up? I am running into the problem of having to do a water change every 1 - 1.5wks...due to nitrate levels at 20ppm. I am curious.

At this time, I have the sponge in its chamber...Live rock in the center chamber and the return pump in the right chamber. What is the best filter set up for the 24gal nano cube?

If anyone has a reply, I would like to know. Thanks.

Bobalouy
10/18/2005, 09:10 PM
Weekly water changes are pretty much standard with nanos. Why is that a problem? How long did you plan on going between water changes?

How many fish do you have?

My 12g NC is set up:
Chambers:
1: LR Rubble
2: Cheato
3: Pump and Heater

taku
10/23/2005, 11:22 AM
I got about 5-6 bioballs with my nc6 and the bag of carbon and a bag of those rings (what are they called?) -- anyways I threw the bag of rings in my 120g's sump and the bioballs as well. I left the sponge and carbon bag in the nanocube.

waterman78
10/26/2005, 07:05 PM
To all on this thread. I have a total of 7 fish in my 24 gal nano cube. This maybe too many fish in a small size tank. This is the reason for the increase of nitrates or the demand of fequent water changes. If anyone has anything to know let me know.

Thanks

steelhealr
10/27/2005, 02:51 PM
Waterman78...ditching your sponge may bring your nitrates down. Seven fish IS a little bit on the heavy side. In answer to the above, my rear chamber setup is the following:

Chamber 1: Stock pump, ChemiPure, SeaGel, Algone, Purigen and Pura pad

Chamber 2: LR rubble, chaetomorpha, external Palm light, temp and pH probes

Chamber 2: heater, Maxijet 1200 PH with HydorFlo nozzle

Hope this helps. SH

damselindistress
10/27/2005, 06:11 PM
Sponge in chamber 1 swapped out weekly with water change
LR rubble, chaeto, temp probe in chamber 2
Heater and 900 maxijet pump w/hydor flo in chamber 3

Two gallons a week wc, clean glass every day.

steelhealr
10/28/2005, 10:07 AM
The other option, if you are not willing to make the leap of faith of ditching your sponge is to cut the sponge into a very thin layer. The way the sponge is provided, it is very thick.There is NO way that you can wash ALL the detritus out of the center of the sponge if you think about it. JMO. Even if you wash it out weekly, it collects. My nitrates dropped from 15 to 5 after pulling it out . SH