PDA

View Full Version : Going to start a 10g nano

ReefRockerLive
10/11/2005, 09:33 PM
I am planning on starting up a 10g nano but would like to know what kind of lighting I will need to keep softies and montipora caps healthy. I already have a tank, but I don't want to place 150w HQI's on this tank due to the intensity. I was leaning more towards 1 or 2 36w 50/50 setup.

Also, with type of filtration will I need to have? Would a regular bio-wheel filter be sufficent?

Please explain how I would go about setting up a sucessful 10g nano.

talksalt
10/11/2005, 09:55 PM
The Coralife 20" 96W Quad seems to be a popular light for the 10G setups.
As for the filtration you could go with an AquaFuge which is an Aquaclear 70 or above moded into a fuge.
Here is a link to the mod on a 110
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=679159
I run the Aquafuge and another small carbon powerfilter from whisper to help the water stay clear.
Looking forward to seeing your setup :) I am having a blast with my 10G Nano

phenom5
10/12/2005, 11:39 AM
I am planning on starting up a 10g nano but would like to know what kind of lighting I will need to keep softies and montipora caps healthy. I already have a tank, but I don't want to place 150w HQI's on this tank due to the intensity. I was leaning more towards 1 or 2 36w 50/50 setup.

96W powerquad is a good choice, or a 70W MH, although if your going to go for the 70W MH you might as well go for the 150W MH. personally, i think the 150W MH is just about perfect for a 10g...

Also, with type of filtration will I need to have? Would a regular bio-wheel filter be sufficent?

depends, you can go several different routes, but i'd skip the bio-wheel. for softies and some monti's i'd go the LR/ Fuge with macro route. you can convert a modded AC or go with a CPR aquafuge or a DIY fuge.

Please explain how I would go about setting up a sucessful 10g nano.

that is a loaded question my friend...lots of different ways to skin a cat...

**disclaimer**no cats were harmed in the making of this post.

BLKTANG
10/12/2005, 05:32 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by phenom5
[B]96W powerquad is a good choice, or a 70W MH, although if your going to go for the 70W MH you might as well go for the 150W MH. personally, i think the 150W MH is just about perfect for a 10g...

I agree,i upgraded my light from the 96w powerquad to 150w MH.Dont get me wrong the 96w Coralife Quad is an awesome light,i just fell for sps like a ton of bricks.