PDA

View Full Version : 12 or 24g nano...What do I need to know?

SaltyNewb
10/11/2005, 09:11 PM
I've had a 29g and now have a 58g tank with success. My little brother wants a 12g or 24g nano, JBJ deluxe.

Let me just say that I want to be able to explain everything to him, duties, maintenance, etc...

What I dont know is what exactly comes with these setups, do i need to get him a heater or what? What filtration is on these setups, and what do i need to get him.

I want to be able to get him started with everything to get it cycling, and then he can add stuff later, very easy thing, mushroom etc...

So do you just buy the unit and add sand and water and rocks? Let it cycle and then go from there like a regular reef?

Any help with these units is appreciated.

Thanks!

Daniel

physicslord
10/11/2005, 09:50 PM
Read This first: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=60234

The 24g is prone to cracking. Just keep that in mind. Look at some other brands of tanks too like the Aquapod and M-tank. You can google those or look for links buried in that thread.

12g nanoreef
10/11/2005, 09:50 PM
u should probably get a heater. during the day the lights will keep tank plenty warm but at night it will drop and u don't want the temp going up and down. other than that it has filtration and lighting, but don't use ceramic rings or bio balls. i would just wait about a month though the new aquapods are comming out and they have nicer lighting and a surface skimmer built in. nothing wrong with a nanocube though, i love mine.
hope this helps.

spf9992001
10/11/2005, 11:17 PM
Be very careful with the 24 gallon. Make sure you check out all of your options. Many nanocube owners have been chomping at the bit to see the new aquapod from current usa.

Steelhair created a nice guide for a 24 gallon cube, but many of the same principles will apply to the 12 gallon. Check out this thread over on nano-reef (http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=54602)

After you get your cube (whatever size), make sure your check out nanocustoms.com & nanotuners.com. Both sites are owned by the same person - top notch.

SaltyNewb
10/11/2005, 11:22 PM
Thanks for all of the info ya'll!

I am just looking for something simple for my brother, so maybe I'll wait for the aquapod since there have been complaints about the jbj nanos and having cracks.