PDA

View Full Version : Jawfish question

Deuce67
10/11/2005, 09:03 PM
I have a yellow jawfish that I got about a month and half ago that dissapeared after a couple of days. I found him a month later in my fuge. I guess it was in my hob overflow for a month. I put him back in the main display but keeps ending up in the fuge. Did I just get a super unsociable jawfish that prefers to be by itself in my fuge? It does eat but I rather not have him living in the fuge. Any ideas? Thanks guys!

Leopard Wrasse
10/11/2005, 09:46 PM
My first guess is something is harassing him, how deep is your sandbed? If you can get him to settle down in a spot try putting
some larger pieces of crushed coral or small shells to allow him to
reinforce his burrow.

Deuce67
10/12/2005, 07:06 PM
Not sure if anything is harassing it. Maybe the pink spotted goby, but I have never witnessed it. I have a 2 inch sandbed. I did give it some crushed corals for it to use. Is my sandbed too shallow?

Leopard Wrasse
10/13/2005, 12:46 AM
I think he would be better off with a 4"-5" sandbed, maybe you can pile some up in one area for him. It wouldn't shock me if the pink
spotted goby is harassing him, but now way of knowing if you haven't seen it.

Deuce67
10/13/2005, 09:38 PM
Well, if he ends up in the fuge again, Ill have to find somebody to adopt him. Thanks Robert!

km133688
10/13/2005, 09:50 PM
I have one of these fellas cool and yet a PITB. I started with four (hoping to get some mated pairs out of them). There were only two other fish in the tank at the time. These guys are jumpers. I lost three to jumping out of the tank (one in the sump like you).

My sand bed is 6 inches deep (or at least was before my recent tank move). The remaining lone jawfish was always digging. The advice of giving CC is a good one. The accept this stuff like pennies from heaven. Make sure he gets a couple of give pieces too. He will use them to cover his house with.

I find that they like to dig under a rock. I hear this is a reaction to not being in the wild where they would dig holes right out in the open in large colonies.

In any event, my guy now hides under a big pile of GSP on the side of the new tank with very little sand. I put most of the sand on the left side so don't you know it he head right when I put him in the tank. I guess in a tank they prefer to hide in rocks like most other fish.

My best guess is you need to find a rock pile for him. Stick lots of rock where there is the most sand and hope for the best. Also, you might try feeding the tank a little more to acquiesce the inhabitants the are likely pushing him around.

Good luck, Kevin