PDA

View Full Version : beginnings of my first reef tank

MCWarhammer
10/10/2005, 12:13 AM
Ok, so I'm finally getting to start my first reef.. a 20L.

So far, I have began building the stand. It still needs to be stained/painted (whichever I decide to do..) and I have to finish the canopy as well. But I'm waiting for my lights to come in, which should be Thursday.. so I'd expect updates next weekend. Until then, I'm hoping to get my tank drilled during the week so i can begin to plumb which I'll have a 15 gallon sump underneath, Also hopefully I'll get the aquarium back painted either black or blue once the drilling is completed. (I'm going to bring it to a glass shop, I know I'll ruin it if I do it! heh)

And if I get bored, I'm going to see if I can't get some trim to spice the stand up during the week as well.

But for now, here is my stand as of now. (Thanks to K9, for providing me with some ideas such as the magnetic front!)

Any criticisms, questions, suggestions, etc welcome

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a216/mcwarhammer/IMG_1670.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a216/mcwarhammer/IMG_1671.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a216/mcwarhammer/IMG_1672.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a216/mcwarhammer/IMG_1673.jpg

Yose
10/10/2005, 12:24 AM
Nice start! :thumbsup:

Consider painting the inside of the canopy with a high gloss white acrylic paint.

K9
10/10/2005, 12:34 AM
Hey! That tank looks familiar! Did you steal some of my pictures? :D

Very nice setup so far! Glad the magnetic door worked out for you too. It's not a typical thing to do, but I like mine so much better than having normal doors. It gives me much easier access to everything in the stand. I bought some molding that I'm going to cut to make some sort of design on the front of mine to give it a little more finished look. I suggest you get corner molding. It adds a nice extra dimension to the stand.

Didn't want to drill yourself though, huh? :lol: Yeah, I was a little scared to do it too, but I figured that I'd only be out $25 bucks if I blew it, :lmao:. What lights did you end up ordering? I can't wait to see how yours turns out. If you have any questions about anything, let me know. Good luck! :thumbsup:

MCWarhammer
10/10/2005, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by Yose
Consider painting the inside of the canopy with a high gloss white acrylic paint.

yea, I'm going to paint it white inside.. I ordered VHO's for it.. and I want to make a reflector for them as well.. but I have to research that... not sure what the best approaches are..

Originally posted by K9
Hey! That tank looks familiar! Did you steal some of my pictures? :D

heh.. maybe :)

Originally posted by K9
I bought some molding that I'm going to cut to make some sort of design on the front of mine to give it a little more finished look. I suggest you get corner molding. It adds a nice extra dimension to the stand.
[/B]

Yea, I'm going to look into that this week sometime, my priority right now is getting the tank drilled.. i hope to drop it off in the morning before work.

Originally posted by K9
Didn't want to drill yourself though, huh? :lol: Yeah, I was a little scared to do it too, but I figured that I'd only be out $25 bucks if I blew it, :lmao:. What lights did you end up ordering? I can't wait to see how yours turns out. If you have any questions about anything, let me know. Good luck! :thumbsup: [/B]

I'm pretty much guarenteed to ruin it if I drill.. and plus i couldn't find any bits locally.. heh :) and I ordered the VHO's like yours from hellolights.. with a URI Super Actinic and a URI 10,000k.

the only thing I'd like to keep that they may not let me keep is a clam.. but we'll see what happens, im not too worried about a clam. thad be way down the road anyways. I want to order some sort of a moon light for night time.. and I've read about dusk/dawn which we can't do with these lights.. (unless i order a second set) but I don't know if thats something of major concern.. and I don't have any lights for my 15g.. but I'm going to wait on that.. as I won't really have anything in there anyway for a long while.. I may throw some sand and rock in there.. but I can wait on the lights

I had a question about stocking.. This is my tentative overall plan.. let me know what you think.. (obviously not all at once)

-2 percs (and maybe an anemone.. but i need to research them as well still)
-firefish
-(if im not pushing it..) yellow watchman goby or similar
i like the scooter blenny's but i think im pushing it at that point.. and i dont know what id rather.. the ywg or the scooter.. i also don't know their adult size.. much research left for me

-sand sifting sea star
-1 or 2 scarlet hermits
-emerald crab
-10 or so snails (astrea/nassarius)
-fire shrimp
-skunk cleaner

and coral, coral coral... dont know what yet though, hah..

holy long.. sorry about that

K9
10/10/2005, 01:15 AM
Sounds good with the lights. You'd probably be OK with a clam. Just get one of the less light-demanding species. I'm going to buy a clam for my tank eventually. If that URI 10000k ends up being a little too pink for you, switch to a Coralife 10000k. I recently did and I'm much happier with the color. To each his own though.

The fish list looks OK. I'd just do 3 fish though. The two clowns and then something else. Scooter Blennies are like Mandarins in their need for a very large pod population. I'd try a different blenny instead. The goby idea sounds good though. Have you considered a 6-Line Wrasse? They're great for smaller tanks and add lots of color and movement as well. Not very expensive either.

The inverts list looks cool too. You may as well skip out on the scarlet hermits though. The snails and two shrimp will do lots of detritus and algae clean-up as it is. IME, hermits tend to fight alot too. I had 10 blue-legged and African hermits (mixed, not 10 of each) when I started, now I only have one or two left because they all killed each other. Needless to say, I won't be buying any more hermit crabs.

As for corals, we can keep an awful lot of different species with our 150w of VHO. Just do your research and see what kinds you like and what would be compatible with each other. I just got some new pink/purple ricordia and a Galaxy LPS coral the other day. The thread on my tank has all the latest pictures of them and my whole setup. Great start, and it's nice to see someone who's done their research first before jumping in. You're definitely on the right track! Take care.

MCWarhammer
10/10/2005, 01:25 AM
thanks k9..

i guess I'll stick with the ywg and stay away from the scooter.. i always wanted a mandarin.. they're amazing! but I've read of the difficulties of keeping them.. and one day when I get my 90+ tank.. I'll finally get him..

I'll probably be ok with the color of the lights.. we'll see though.. and I only wanted one or two hermits, cuz I think they're neat looking.. but I also read that sometimes they'll try and steal snails shells.. so i guess they're more trouble then they're worth.

the one thing i havent been able to research and find good info on and Im not totally sure of.. is when to add the inverts.. I imagine just as with the fish, I want to wait until the cycle starts.. but it seems they sell them in large packs.. is it best to add all at once at the end of my cycle? or add them a little at a time just as you would with fish and corals..

MCWarhammer
10/10/2005, 09:33 AM
so I called a bunch of local glass shops.. and no one has the right size. So i broke down and bought a dremel with a diamond tip bit that they had for the tool at home depot. I'm going to pick up a 10 g from walmart tonight so that i can test on it.. we'll see how it goes!

K9
10/10/2005, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by MCWarhammer
so I called a bunch of local glass shops.. and no one has the right size. So i broke down and bought a dremel with a diamond tip bit that they had for the tool at home depot. I'm going to pick up a 10 g from walmart tonight so that i can test on it.. we'll see how it goes! If you have any questions before or during drilling, feel free to ask me. Practicing on a 10g is a good idea. My best three things I can offer as immediate advice are:

1) Keep the work area wet. I kept a wet washcloth right next to me and stopped about every 2 minutes to squeeze some water from it onto the glass and diamond bit.

2) Go slowly. It took me about 30 minutes to drill a hole for each of my 3/4" bulkheads. The hole itself was about 1 1/2".

3) Tape a paper cup or something similar to the inside of the tank covering the hole to catch water, glass dust, and eventually the circle of glass itself.

If you have a Sears near you, pick up this pack of two diamond bits (pic below). It's only $6. I bought two packs in case one bit broke, but didn't end up needing the second pack. Also, if you get these bits, the shaft size is smaller than most Dremel bits, so you will need to buy a smaller collet for your Dremel unless it already came with two different-sized collets. The diamond bit they had at my Home Depot was the cone-shaped one. The pack from Sears has a ball to drill the pilot hole, and a cone/cylindrical bit to do the major cutting. Good luck :D.

http://www.nova.edu/~giro/nano-reef/images/100105-01.jpg

rbrice020378
10/10/2005, 01:00 PM
So when you do this are you punching thru with the round at your outside edge of the hole and then just following around that circle with the tapered bit?

K9
10/10/2005, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by rbrice020378
So when you do this are you punching thru with the round at your outside edge of the hole and then just following around that circle with the tapered bit? Exactly :D

MCWarhammer
10/11/2005, 12:01 AM
ok, so i drilled my first hole! no problems so far.. i didnt fill the tank.. but im gonna assume its fine.. since it was on a test tank. Now tomorrow, I will drill my main display tank.. maybe get it plumbed.. things are coming along..

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a216/mcwarhammer/IMG_1676.jpg

K9
10/11/2005, 12:05 AM
Hey, great job! Just remember when you drill the 20L and install the bulkheads, don't use a wrench to tighten them. Just use your hands. However, tighten them with your hands as hard as you can and DO NOT paint the back of the tank before you install the bulkheads because the paint will cause you to not be able to tighten them properly. Can't wait to see the 20g when you get it all plumbed up! :thumbsup:

MCWarhammer
10/11/2005, 06:09 PM
i drilled me first hole in the 20.. and it cracked.. it must have happened when i did the pilot.. I'm not sure.. but now i have to buy another tank and try again.. not too excited about that :-( i actually had trouble finding a 20L locally.. hopefully ill be able to find another one.. ill head out now and see what happens.. better luck next time..

heh.. maybe ill just drill another hole in the 10 and use that, heh

:(

Henry22
10/11/2005, 07:19 PM
Get it drilled at a glass shop if you can, I read about a glass shop up in the thread, but i really dont feel like reading it, so if you already called and they cant do it, just ignore this comment.

MCWarhammer
10/11/2005, 08:25 PM
yea, I called about 5 shops in my area.. none of them had the right size bits.

K9
10/11/2005, 09:28 PM
So sorry to hear about the cracked tank. Were you maybe going too fast with the pilot hole? At any rate, your only other option other than a glass shop is to buy a diamond hole saw online. However, you'll pay about $40 or so plus shipping for one :(. Again, very sorry to hear about the break.

MCWarhammer
10/11/2005, 10:36 PM
so, assuming im successfuly in attempt number two.. what do you figure is the best way for a return? I saw you used tube.. should I pvc it? or go the tube route.. is one approach better than the other? And what are recommendations for the pump?

K9
10/11/2005, 10:45 PM
so, assuming im successfuly in attempt number two.. what do you figure is the best way for a return? I saw you used tube.. should I pvc it? or go the tube route.. is one approach better than the other? And what are recommendations for the pump? Well, the goal is to MAKE SURE that your overflows are pulling more water out than your return pump is putting back in. According to the RC drain/overflow calculator on the home page, my 3/4 inch bulkheads should drain about 330 gallons per hour each, with my Maxi-Jet 1200 only returning in the ballpark of 150-200 gallons per hour after going up 3.5 feet vertically. It's really up to you if you want to use vinyl tubing or PVC for a return. I don't really know if one is better than the other. I just found it was much easier to use vinyl. BTW, if using a Maxi-Jet for the return, you'll need 1/2" ID vinyl tubing. I got 10 feet at Home Depot for $2.99.

MCWarhammer
10/11/2005, 10:49 PM
is the maxi jet 1200 marketed as a power head instead of a pump? Id assume theres no real difference, it just comes with a piece to try and spread the water out across the aquarium, instead of otu a tube and its just marketing?

K9
10/11/2005, 11:03 PM
Well, some Web sites advertise them as just powerheads, and some advertise them as powerheads/pumps. Some sites say it's OK to use them externally, some say it's not OK. Mine is obviously internal since it's sitting in my 10g fuge. I'm not sure if I'd be willing to use one externally though.

MCWarhammer
10/11/2005, 11:07 PM
i imagine external ones are much louder.. although, i wouldnt really know.. ill see what I can find locally and go from there.

K9
10/11/2005, 11:12 PM
Actually, I strongly suggest buying dry goods online. I've bought from www.marinedepot.com and www.bigalsonline.com without any problems whatsoever. Besides, a Maxi-Jet 1200 at my LFS was $39.99 but at Marine Depot, it's just under $20. Buying online is only practical though if you need to buy more than say $40 worth of equipment because of shipping. FWIW, I got my bulkheads from my LFS for $5 each, which was actually about the same price as Marine Depot. Always remember though, Home Depot is your friend! :lmao: If you can get anything from them as opposed to the LFS, you're saving major bucks :D.

MCWarhammer
10/11/2005, 11:15 PM
i picked up my bulkheads at an lfs (well, it wasnt too local, a bit of a drive, heh) for 8 each i think.. and I've been to home depot and lowes quite a bit the past week or two for this, hah.. the only problem so far, is ive been buying as i need.. and if ib uy as i need online, it slows me down, heh.. cuz ill be idle while i wait for the next piece to get here. but ill check it out. I need power heads, return pump and a hydrometer.. although ive read good things about refractometers.. so maybe ill order all of those soon.

K9
10/11/2005, 11:21 PM
Drs. Foster and Smith.com has refractometers on sale for just over $40. Here's the link: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=9957&Ntt=refractometer&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=2004&Nty=1

Personally, I've always used a hydrometer and haven't had any ill effects from it.

If you're interested to know, I have two Maxi-Jet 600s in my 20L and I'm really happy with the flow they create. They make 160gph each, so I'm looking at 16x turnover just from the powerheads, and the MJ1200 adds around 175gph more I'd guess. So, I have about 25x turnover, which is nice :D. I was looking into the Seio 620 (620gph, but in a much wider, gentler pattern than a normal powerhead), but IMO, the Maxi-Jets are cheaper and get the job done while taking up less space in the tank.

MCWarhammer
10/11/2005, 11:29 PM
do you keep your water temp at 80? cuz aren't most hydrometeres calibrated at 80 degrees? cuz if my temp for some reasons fluctuates a bit.. itll be wrong.. no?

K9
10/11/2005, 11:32 PM
Honestly, my temp stays right at 80F without any help from me. I haven't had a heater since the beginning and don't see any reason to buy one. When the temp is at its lowest first thing in the morning, it's 78F.

Never heard that about hydrometers being calibrated at 80F. Interesting. If that's really the case, then I know mine's right! :lol:

MCWarhammer
10/11/2005, 11:47 PM
haha.. yea, I'm pretty sure I read that.. I could be wrong.. maybe it was a marketing ploy to convince me to buy a refractometer.. who knows..

you're in a warmer area.. I'll need a heater, especially since its getting colder.. and i leave my windows open usually, cuz i like it cold, hah..

K9
10/12/2005, 12:03 AM
Hmph. I WISH it was getting colder down here. Our high today was in the 80's. Plus the humidity right after it rains (which is EVERY afternoon) is in the 90th percentile or thereabouts. We have 11 months of summer and 1 month when it gets kinda windy, :lol:.

MCWarhammer
10/12/2005, 12:20 AM
haha.. yea, its dropped to the high 50's already.. so it can get cold..

MCWarhammer
10/12/2005, 02:49 AM
so....

two holes.. drilled in my tank! no cracks.. looks good.. pics to follow tomorrow..

MCWarhammer
10/12/2005, 03:20 AM
so, it has just occurred to me that since I screwed up the first time, I was a bit afraid.. and decided to move the holes a little further away from the edge. so they're three in, and four down... I didn't think that the overflows would then be too low! the top comes just under the tip of the tank.. I may have to make an extension.. maybe not.. we'll see when i test. i dont want the water level to be too low..

K9
10/12/2005, 08:45 AM
Hey, congrats on the successfull drilling! I feel sorry for your neighbors though who had to hear a Dremel cutting through glass at 2am :lol:. Can't wait to see pics!

MCWarhammer
10/12/2005, 09:17 AM
here are two shots.. one is a little dark.. maybe ill retake it in better lighting tonight after work.. but ill probably just plumb and redo then.

I'm afraid that its too low.. the bottom of the return is about an inch below where I'd like water level to be.. I think I'll definitely have to make a pvc extension tonight.. I'm a little upset about that, heh.

Do you know where I can get black pvc? I'd like to keep everything in the tank black.. or is there paint thats safe to be in the water that i can paint it black.. or ill get over having white, heh.. whatever

Originally posted by K9
Hey, congrats on the successfull drilling! I feel sorry for your neighbors though who had to hear a Dremel cutting through glass at 2am :lol:. Can't wait to see pics!

thanks! i asked my parents if they could hear me.. and they couldn't.. so I suppose it was quiet enough for no one to hear me..

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a216/mcwarhammer/IMG_1677.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a216/mcwarhammer/IMG_1678.jpg

K9
10/12/2005, 10:13 AM
I wouldn't worry about having white PVC extensions to get the water level up to where you want it. It will eventually be covered by coralline soon enough anyways. If you really want to go all-black, I believe that "schedule 40" PVC is black, or at least a charcoal grey color. My two elbows on my bulkheads are white and I don't really sweat it too much as they've already started to change color.

MCWarhammer
10/12/2005, 01:10 PM
when installing the pvc, whats the best way to seal the connections? Did you seal the overflow pipe in the tank, or just stick in it and leave it at that?

K9
10/12/2005, 10:52 PM
when installing the pvc, whats the best way to seal the connections? Did you seal the overflow pipe in the tank, or just stick in it and leave it at that? I sealed my 90-degree PVC elbows into the tank-side openings of the bulkheads, but that's all I put cement on. Everything else is incredibly snug, but I'll probably cement everything else up (except the pipes going into the external-side of the bulkheads) this weekend so I can sleep better at night. At least when I have to break down the tank when I move next summer, I'll just have to undo the two bulkheads, pull the PVC pipes out the back of them, and the whole thing will come apart for moving.

MCWarhammer
10/13/2005, 12:30 AM
awesome.. thanks.. ill probably seal mine up tomorrow and paint the glass as well.. I have it all plumbed.. I'll get some pics up later.. but heres what I went with..

the drain is similar to yours, except both 3/4" go into a 1" pipe.. and then for the return, its a rio 1200 tube up to a SCWD which then goes to two returns on each side of the tank.

my LFS sells his live rock for 8/lb (or 10/lb out of his reef with pieces of coral and stuff) does this seem a little high? If i go with the reef pieces, I'm looking at at least 200 bucks.. which sucks.. premium aquatics has nano rock at 4/lb which is half the their rock.. what do you say? I can also get my sand from premium for 15 bucks or so.. and theirs a few different typs of sand.. i dont really know the difference.. any recommendations on these?

he also says that I don't have to use RO/DI.. since I don't have a unit.. but everything I read says otherwise.. I hate the glaring contradictions of opinions in this hobby, hah.. id rather use ro/di to be on the safe side.. just gotta figure out where im going to get it.. heh

K9
10/13/2005, 12:43 AM
On the live rock, $8-10 per lb is outrageous. I get base liverock for $3/lb and the good, coralline-covered liverock for $5/lb. I guess it's because of the area I'm in though. In your position, I'd order from online since it's half the price. With the sand, it will become live eventually anyways, so you can buy a "dead" bag if you want. I have 40lbs all together in my system. about 15lbs in the display, and the other 25lbs in the fuge.

With the water, I personally use RO water from my grocery store. I used to buy the one-gallon jugs for 69 cents each, but I now have a big 5g jug that I fill up once a week with RO water from the machine at the front of the store. This costs only 30 cents per gallon. An RO unit may be in my future, but not anytime soon :lol:.

MCWarhammer
10/13/2005, 12:52 AM
yea, I heard about trying a grocery store.. but I can't imagine walking out with the intial 40 gallons or so I would get, heh.. but, I'll do what I gotta do, hah..

and yea, I guess I'll order the lr online.. I'll check some other LFS's.. I didn't have time tonight, I'll call around tomorrow.. but I have a feeling they're in the same ball park.. and a 20lb back is only 15 bucks live.. form there, how much cheaper could it be to get reg sand..

MCWarhammer
10/16/2005, 02:37 AM
been a bit busy, so updates have been slow.. but I have pics of my plumbing.. and i painted my back black... hopefully, tomorrow I can get the plumbing sealed up, and a test run for leaks. Maybe I can get the stand finished too..

I got my lights in.. I'll probably install these soon as well. We'll see how tomorrow goes.

Heres the pics..

front and left intake and return
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a216/mcwarhammer/IMG_1685.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a216/mcwarhammer/IMG_1684.jpg

upper view, displaying scwd/hoses and pvc intakes
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a216/mcwarhammer/IMG_1687.jpg

lower view.. more pvc..
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a216/mcwarhammer/IMG_1688.jpg

finally.. my rio+ 1100 return pump.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a216/mcwarhammer/IMG_1689.jpg

MCWarhammer
10/16/2005, 11:48 PM
alright, so i sealed everything up today.. and i have water in it for a test run.. everything looks good! Next step is to finish the stand, and install the lights.. whatever comes first.

The only thing, is the two overflow drains are a bit noisy.. any recommendations on silencing them a bit? if not, I'll get used to it..

K9
10/17/2005, 12:29 AM
Actually, mine were noisy with the strainers on them as well. You can take the strainers off, but then you risk something getting sucked in there. I am taking that risk as I type this. :lol:

MCWarhammer
10/17/2005, 01:49 AM
my water level is low even with the strainers.. I'll pull them off and see what happens. I wonder what other options there are?

stupid gurgling sound, heh

MCWarhammer
10/25/2005, 12:28 AM
ive been a bit slow on getting things done.. but im getting there! heres my stand half stained.. the rest is done and drying now.. ill post a finished pic tomorrow. I painted the inside of the canopy white as well.. ill do the sealant tomorrow.. and have this in my room with some water and rock by the weekend.. then no updates for awhile, ill be on vacation.. but ill keep ya updated!

let me know what ya think

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a216/mcwarhammer/IMG_1733.jpg

ReefStu
10/25/2005, 02:03 AM
I noticed you listed an emerald crab, do some searches on them in the archives. While they are a greatpart of a cleaning crew they do have some diturbing unpredictability. There is a current thread in the zoanthid forum that I asked about thier tendency to eat corals. After my newer LR was cleaned and the cleaning crew had done a good job my crabs turned on my zoos. I personally had two small ones in my 12G nano cube and caught them eating zoo polyps (5+/- in one day) and tearing chunks of my candy frag meat. I believe you will find enough negative comments to convince you to select some other algea eater.

MCWarhammer
10/25/2005, 02:16 AM
i actually canned the idea of the emerald.. ive been thinking about a sally light foot instead.. but i havent read great things about them either.. I still have my research for this ahead of me.. we'll see what happens when the time comes :-) thanks for the input

Milamber
10/25/2005, 07:03 AM
Just a question regarding cutting glass. Do you have to put any pressure down when cutting the glass or just let gravity do it's think and hold the dremel in place?

Did you freehand it or use a stencil or guard?

How did you know how big to make the hole? Can you just trace the hole on the lock nut?

jcopp24
10/25/2005, 07:12 AM
Comment for you with a question for K9... In my 20GL I choose one scarlett hermit crab that has the tendancy to climb over coral, but does not hurt anything so far. As for my clean up crew I went with 5 turbo snails and 5 Bumble Bee Snails. I was told that the BB Snails are just like smaller Necarian (spelling) snails. I just didnt want the same looking snails as anyone else. Was this a good idea? If so they look far better in a tank then most other snails. My own swarm of killer bees.
MCWarhammer... be careful with the fish selection just like everything else... 20G is small and you only get to pick fish out once :) I put a purple firefish goby in mine and am very happy lots of color. I was thinking about a black perc also.
K9... what is your opinion on the Anenome? Everyone I talk to says keep them out of your reef... ?

MCWarhammer
10/25/2005, 08:01 AM
Milamber.. you shouldn't have too put much pressure at all.. gravity should do it.. just take your time and go with it. It takes a while, but it gets the job done. I bought a 10 gallon for 10 bucks to practice on.. you may want to do the same.. and I freehanded it, since the bulkheads seal around larger than the diameter of the hole.. and yea I just traced out the hole.. at which point, i always made the hole too small.. so i just widened it until it fit through and I could seal it.

jcopp24.. I was looking into the purple firefish or the red one as well.. they look awesome.. hows they're personality? I haven't seen them in a tank other than briefly in the store

jcopp24
10/25/2005, 08:20 AM
MCWarhammer... I really like how the firefish looks in the tank... in reading more about them they require some more vitamin enriched food then most, but I think it is worth the colors.
Know that my 20G would only hold like 3 fish I wanted color and a fish that not EVERYONE has like a clown. He or she whatever the case may be has found his spot in the tank and stays mainly in the middle of the tank and seems to like to play in the current. I am going to rotate marine cousine and formula one marine pellets with garlic for him.
I think that the other fish I would like for my tank is a Flame Hawkfish, mainly for personality... reminds me of one of my italian friends.

ReefStu
10/25/2005, 09:43 AM
Yeah, watch out for Sally Lightfoots also. I have had mixed luck with them. Some are good and some go after your polyps.

Milamber
10/25/2005, 09:45 AM
McWarhammer,
Do you have to use the rounded bit to start a hole and then the pointed one to do the circle?

Or can you start a hole with the pointy one as well?

MCWarhammer
10/25/2005, 07:15 PM
milamber, yea, use the ball tip to drill a pilot..and the tapered to drill cutout the hole

K9
10/26/2005, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by jcopp24
...question for K9...

K9... what is your opinion on the Anenome? Everyone I talk to says keep them out of your reef... ?I just don't think I'll keep one in my tank because my tank is quite small and they like to move around alot when they don't get enough light or some other reason. As they move, they sting/trample everything in their path. This is why I'm going to let my Maroon clown just host in some other coral of his choosing. :D

jcopp24
10/27/2005, 07:20 AM
Remember me talking about the Perc and him trampling the leather coral... we are now officially hosted, I looked in the tank earlier and saw the clown laying in the middle of the leather coral... :)

ebzhighestbidder
10/27/2005, 11:29 AM
looking good

MCWarhammer
10/28/2005, 12:25 AM
ok.. heres some poor pictures of my rockwork so far.. hopefully ill get my lights in tomorrow night and the retake the pics.. I plan on picking up sand tomorrow too.. i like black sand.. but think ill go with white.. i think ill be happier with that in the long run

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a216/mcwarhammer/IMG_1737.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a216/mcwarhammer/IMG_1738.jpg

MCWarhammer
10/29/2005, 02:25 AM
sand has been put in.. im happy with the rock.. and my lights are in as well.. ted you were right.. the lights are a bit pink.. ill let them run awhile and see hwo i feel about them..

let me know what yout hink about the rockwork and everything else.. I'll be going away for a few days.. so no updates for awhile, but when i get back, ill start adding snails and what not..

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a216/mcwarhammer/IMG_1739.jpg

MCWarhammer
11/10/2005, 01:01 AM
ok, its been awhile since ive updated this post.. but here are my pics and updates so far.. i have some more stuff i hope to get done this weekend.. i picked up a hang on refugium from a friend that im going to run on my sump, and plan on getting that going this weekend.. and hopefully I can get a cleaner shrimp this week as well..

against recommendations, i got a sally light foot anyway.. i like them.. and wanted to give it a go.. got a small one, so far hasn't been a bother to anything.. and i got a bunch of different snails and some blue leg hermits.. and a Firefish.. and a small piece of coral, that i haven't photoed yet to give that a try.. water has been testing ok, I'm going to bring it to my lfs and hes going to double check everything for me.. (apparently, im color blind, heh..)

btw the coral i got is a very small frag of green star polyps

also got a moon light from icecap.. looks nice

anyway.. heres the pics.. hope you like it!

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a216/mcwarhammer/IMG_1942.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a216/mcwarhammer/IMG_1953.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a216/mcwarhammer/IMG_1951.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a216/mcwarhammer/IMG_1957.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a216/mcwarhammer/IMG_1958.jpg

vest0830
11/10/2005, 07:12 AM
awesome. i cant wait to do my 20gl. L. I probably wont do anything like you did as far as the drilling, I am gonna come up with something a little different, but your tank looks like its doing awesome.

MCWarhammer
11/10/2005, 11:54 AM
thanks vest.. what are you planning on doing? definitely keep me posted on your tank