PDA

View Full Version : Is there anyone using non-greenwater to culture rotifers?

bcjm
03/04/2002, 01:35 PM
I am tired of culturing the greenwater to feed rotifers. The Plankton Culture Manual mentions that rotifers eat many different kind of foods. Wondering if anyone have tried non-greenwater rotifers culturing.

Laura D
03/04/2002, 02:03 PM
Martin Moe uses a mixture of V8 to feed his rotifers in "Breeding the Orchid Dottyback". I don't know the recipie offhand

bcjm
03/04/2002, 02:15 PM
you are not talking the V8 juice drink are you?

Laura D
03/04/2002, 04:10 PM
Why yes I am!!:D

Assuming I don't totally forget, when I get home from work I'll get that book out and post the recipie for you.

bcjm
03/04/2002, 04:18 PM
I did a search. Is this the formular?

1 - 11.5oz can of V8 strained through a 500 micron sleeve/sieve.

dilute the strained V8 with roughyl 1 quart of cold fresh water

add 2 teaspoons of bakers yeast

add several drops of omega-3 fatty acid supplement and a predissolved vitamin B

keep in refrigerator. feed 30 to 50ml per gallon of rotifers.

Laura D
03/04/2002, 04:30 PM
That sounds right, again I don't have Moe's book in front of me. If I find that his recipie is different from what you posted, I'll let you know.

Laura D
03/06/2002, 02:17 PM
I brought my book with me to work to check if that was what Moe wrote in "Dottybacks. . ." that is his exact recipie!

monk
03/07/2002, 01:50 PM
OK, V8 sounds like a fine idea. But how well does it work??? Does it do more than keep a colony of zooplankton alive? Do they thrive on the stuff? How nutrtious are they to larval fish? I would really love for this to work, it would be an answer to any fish breeder's prayers, but I can't help but play devil's advocate.

:rolleyes:

Guy
03/07/2002, 02:09 PM
"Vitamin B"

Is that Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12 or (probably) A B-Complex Vitamin?

Laura D
03/07/2002, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by monk
OK, V8 sounds like a fine idea. But how well does it work??? Does it do more than keep a colony of zooplankton alive? Do they thrive on the stuff? How nutrtious are they to larval fish? I would really love for this to work, it would be an answer to any fish breeder's prayers, but I can't help but play devil's advocate.

:rolleyes:

Monk, According to Moe, it isn't a perfect diet for the little rotifers, but they do good on it. He came up with the recipie because keeping phyto cultures alive was becomeing more difficult, they were crashing, ect. and he thought that there may be an easier way. I think this is a good alternative when you are having trouble with keeping greenwater cultures constantly in supply.

bcjm
03/07/2002, 02:32 PM
I started this thread due to the contamination and crushing of my groundwater. I don't know about you guys but I never sterilize the culture water. Just too much work. I have been using RotiRich for 3 weeks. If I keep the water temp. low, the ammonia build up in the water is not a problem. It works quite well also. Once I raise the water temp. to 80F the rotifers population normally double-triple each day.

LiquidShaneo
03/07/2002, 05:06 PM
Using the V8 method is somewhat of a pain tho, as V8 does contain particulate matter that is too large for the rotifers to feed on. Moe prefiltered his V8 thru a 500 micron screen if I remember right before he used it to make his rotifer food. I also believe that he had to do weekly waterchanges on his rotifer culture as he had to clean off the floc from the bottom of the rotifer culturing vessles. It did seem to work well for him tho when his phyto cultures kept crashing on him.

Shane