PDA

View Full Version : water and chlorine

innomen/dennis`
03/04/2002, 12:47 PM
For the last few years, since i have been doing salt water (f.o.) i have been using distilled water only. Not just for the chlorine, but to make sure that there wouldn't be any build up of trace elements. With a 29 gal tank it was not impossible, somewhat inconvenient though. My success with the chemistry of the tank has been remarkable, never a problem. I am now thinking of getting a larger tank and am not so sure i want to be purchasing and lugging all that water into the house.

How do you generally deal with the fresh water that goes into your tank? Do you just add chemicals to eliminate the chlorine effects? Is there any impact on your chemistry?

tstone
03/04/2002, 04:13 PM
Reverse osmosis/deionize filter. If its working properly should deliver 99.5% pure water:)

Periclimenes Lover
03/04/2002, 04:31 PM
Hasn't anyone had good success with just using tap water? I have been using it and my two anemones, button polyps, mushrooms & star polyps along with some inverts & 2 gobies seem to be doing ok (so far). I've had my tank up almost a year. I mix the saltwater and let it sit for about a week.

moe_k
03/04/2002, 04:43 PM
Peri;

I tried to just use tap water here in Boston, but the water was loaded with posphates (I tested). I had a bad hair algae battle to deal with, that only cleared up after I started using RO water.

I'd recommend getting an RO/DI unit as noted above. I've seen them for around $150.00 lately.

jimbos
03/04/2002, 08:40 PM
Another option is getting the Distilled water delivered as I do. I can't afford paying the sewer rate on the waste water that the RO units produce. The guy drops it off monthy at my front door. Also serves as a reminder to do the water change. Now if I can only get the man to mix the salt and.............

moe_k
03/04/2002, 09:54 PM
Whoa, good idea Jim.
I keep forgetting you homeowners have to pay for water & sewage.

ScavDog
03/04/2002, 10:42 PM
Jim.

How reasonable is it to get distilled water?

billn
03/05/2002, 10:37 AM
Hi,
I have a 200 gal tank with 240 gal total system volume. I loose 2.5 gals a day with evaporation. I do a 25 gal water change every 2 weeks.

Currently I use tap water for water changes and tap water purifier to make top off water. Luckily I have no major problems with hair algae since the amount of Phosphates introduced in a water change vs total volume is not that bad. Tap water chlorine levels go to 0 if you let it set for 48 hours I have found.

My top off water costs me $0.35 a gallon to make.
Expensive. :(
To those with RO/DI has anyone calculated how much it costs on average to make a gallon of water taking into consideration cost of membranes, resin, waste water, etc per year?

I am concerned about RO waste water as well.
Water/Sewer rates for MWRA are set to rise this year again. It already costs me $800 a year and I don't even water my lawn. :(

innomen/dennis`
03/05/2002, 10:41 AM
I was told that with distilled water you do not have to change the water quite as often. It eliminates any build up of minerals that comes with tap treated or otherwise.

If i buy a gallon or two each time i go to the grocery store it isn't too bad. However, water delivery is a great idea.

ReefDoggie
03/05/2002, 11:32 AM
Does anyone have any experience with KATI & ANI ?
------------------------
From an Ad of DrsFosterSmith.com
------------------------
KATI and ANI Ion Exchange Units make it possible for the aquarist to process and produce high quality aquarium water. These purification towers produce up to 360 gallons of pure product water a day. KATI is color-indicating, informing you when regeneration is necessary. Regeneration is a simple inexpensive process which you can easily perform in your own home. This offers a tremendous cost savings over the expensive membrane replacements of R.O. units. Great for fresh water and reef aquariums! Maximum operating pressure 7.35 pounds/sq. inch; connections: 10 mm. outer diameter.

KATI - does an excellent job of softening and partially desalinating water. Can be regenerated.

ANI - purifies seawater and keeps pH constant. Regenerable. Use with KATI to totally desalinate tap water.

moe_k
03/05/2002, 12:31 PM
I have an RO unit that I just recharged.
I spent 90 bucks on an RO membrane (high silicate, 35 gpd),
6 bucks on a prefilter, and 14 bucks on the carbon block. That's 110 bucks per year.
I do 5 gal water changes every two weeks - so that's 130 gallons/year.
110 dollars/130 gallons = 85 cents per gallon.
Note that doesn't include initial price for RO unit of ~200 bucks.

For DI resin, add in 30 bucks per year, and that's $1.08 per gallon.

But then again, I use the RO for the water for my kalk too.
To get my money's worth, I should do more water changes - or at least bigger changes.

jimbos
03/05/2002, 12:41 PM
The distilled cost for 12 gallons delivered is about 16 dollars. I could get it a bit cheaper at Walmart but then I have to get it.

Just seemed to be the only alternative for me since I must pay the sewer bill on any water I use.

tstone
03/05/2002, 04:24 PM
Moe how much waste water is generated from your RO? I kind of like the idea of getting water deliverd and not having to buy a Ro filter. I don't live in Boston so no MWRA but I don't want to waste water either

moe_k
03/05/2002, 07:01 PM
I think I saw the figure that the production of a typical RO unit is 1/3 tank water, 2/3 waste water.

I'd say mine is at least that inefficient. Maybe other folks have more productive units?

tstone
03/06/2002, 07:29 AM
Jimbo~What company delivers the distilled water? What additives do you add? What about this KATI/ANI device? Does it work?

jimbos
03/06/2002, 07:56 AM
Tstone

Poland Springs delivers the water 1-800-759-9205. I use B-Ionic 2 part alk ca. I don't know anything about the KATI/ANI devices, have never used one. I just think its a lot easier this way. No filters to buy or change, no waste water, no worrying about setting it up ahead of time....etc. I just mix the water and I'm done.

tstone
03/06/2002, 11:26 AM
Thanks Jim. I think your right, no muss no fuss. Poland Springs here I come.

Simas
03/09/2002, 08:50 AM
:p

For reefs, I'd always use an RO/DI unit. I have a Kent Maxxima unit for sale for $125.00. It's the 50gpd unit. You'd be surprised how much water you need as backup, topoff, & water changes (I had almost 300g in tanks up & running at once).

Here's a pic. The unit is about a year old. Filters have just been changed.

vic simas