PDA

View Full Version : what anthias can be kept singly?

cal3v
03/03/2002, 03:56 PM
Hello everyone. What anthias species can be kept singly? I know of squares, and squamippinis, but can dispar be kept singly, like one male?

Gary Majchrzak
03/03/2002, 04:56 PM
Any Franzia sp. anthias are better kept singly in our smallish confines IMO. You really must check out the anthias chapter in Scott Michael's "Reef Fishes Vol. 1"!

Gary Majchrzak
03/03/2002, 04:57 PM
Since I am unable to delete the double post, I will add that I have kept P.squamipinnus{subgenus Franzia},P.pleurotaenia{subgenus pseudanthias}males singly- and P.dispar{mirolabricthys} with a single male P.cooperi{pseudanthias}.The dispar was shipped as an immature specimen{the ideal anthias to obtain}along with the Cooper's anthias {adult} male.When the P. dispar matured, he bullied the Cooper's anthias and did his up and down U-shaped spawn dance.Michael's book mentions that Dispar anthias are "A demanding species that is often difficult to feed and is prone to being picked on by more aggressive tankmates".He also mentions they sometimes form mixed aggregations with other anthias species in certain parts of it's range. ANY anthias you maintain must be fed 2 or 3 times a day, and eating is the key to their survival in captivity. Choose a species known to eat. I would also like to add that foods containing beta-carotines,such as Ocean Nutrition's 'Formula' and 'Prime Reef' flakes will help fish maintain the red pigment in their coloration- and Anthias like their foods to be MOVING {powerheads} in the water column.

Wolverine
03/03/2002, 05:26 PM
I agree with the rec for Scott's book. Anthias are sort of one of his specialties, so I know he put some extra effort into that part.

The anthias in question is actually in the subgenus Mirolabrichthys.

That said, unless you have a larger tank, and can get a big group of anthias, it's usually best to just get one. If you get a small group, you'll usually end up with just two (the male and dominant female). Dispar anthias are usually pretty hard to feed, so you should be away of that. Also, while they CAN be kept singly, they do better in large groups (1 male, 6-8+ females).

Dave

cal3v
03/03/2002, 05:29 PM
Thanks. Luckily the lfs has some males that have not fully colored up yet. The lfs owner I hear is an anthias enthusiast so I gotta go ask him some questions too when I go the next tiem around.

Gary Majchrzak
03/03/2002, 09:47 PM
Good idea cal3v. An anthias that is eating at the LFS is the only anthias to consider taking home.

Wolverine
03/04/2002, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Gary Majchrzak
Good idea cal3v. An anthias that is eating at the LFS is the only anthias to consider taking home.

Amen. With some fish, if you REALLY trust your LFS, you could get away with them saying that the fish is eating. But with anthias, you should make sure to witness it for yourself.

Dave