PDA

View Full Version : What best way to top off w/no sand storm?

lillibirdy
10/05/2005, 11:50 AM
I have a ten gallon that has been set up with two rubble piles for a while. I just added about an inch of sand to it, and then realized topping off is a sand storm. I know you guys have figured this one out....best/easiest way to top off without displacing sand??
Tried to go slow, but seems to still make a hole.
Thx

SaltFishMD
10/05/2005, 12:33 PM
float a piece of plastic on the surface then pour the water in

sr71pav
10/05/2005, 01:17 PM
I just use a spare powerhead and some tubing so I can direct the flow however is necessary.

LTJGAlex
10/05/2005, 01:47 PM
Yep, both of those work for me. Float a tupperware container and slowly pour into it. This increases the surface area of water entering the tank while simultaneously decreasing water pressure and sandstorms.

Lately I've been using the pipe method. I take a gravel vacuum (usually cheap at any FW fish store), place the vacuum in the topoff bucket, suck on the opposite end for a sec and let the bucket fill the tank (vice versa for water changes, easy!).

go4broke44
10/05/2005, 01:53 PM
you could also just pour the top-off water into your HOB filter if you have one, this works pretty good for me. or when pouring the water in, make sure to direct it onto a piece of LR that is high up in the tank, that way it takes the impact rather than your sand bed

Conceyted
10/05/2005, 01:54 PM
i top off into my sump but the plastic container idea is pretty damn clever.

Bluemorningwind
10/06/2005, 01:36 AM
I use a drip method.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b289/Asashokaze/KIF_1645.jpg

Very easy. Very gradual.

Daemonfly
10/06/2005, 01:54 AM
Topping off should never cause a sandstorm. If it is, you're adding way too much water at one time. You want gradual addition of top-off water. It takes a while for the water to mix, and you don't want huge "clouds" of FW in your tank stressing out the corals & critters, imho.