PDA

View Full Version : Ron's Saltwater Heaven

saltwaterfishlover
03/03/2002, 10:40 AM
ok I am going to Pa next weekend to visit friends, and will be stopping by Ron's Saltwater Heaven on the way home sunday. Is there anything that is a must see or get there? Or do you folks have any orders for there? I am poor so if you know something is there and you want it donations are kindly accepted... And are there any good stores to visit down by Altoona and State College area I am going to be in HOllidaysburg.

Gary Majchrzak
03/03/2002, 11:08 AM
If you could remember to inquire,please:I would like to know if the TILEFISH {Hoplolatilus} are still in the big reef tank-and if so, how long he has maintained them,and what he feeds them.Also-is the Achilles tang still there?

saltwaterfishlover
03/03/2002, 11:15 PM
I guess I am like Eeyore nobody wants to talk to me. I'm just that pesky guy nobody wants to deal with but has to tolerate a bit......

ReeferMac
03/04/2002, 07:01 AM
Fishlover,

Went to Ron's about a year ago with Dave. Nice Store, he's got some great stuff for sale. Only problem I found was his prices are high for the nice stuff. $200 for an Acro head wasn't un-common. Beautiful corals, however, no doubt about that. You're just going to pay for it if you want it.

He did give us a break on frag prices tho. He took the tips off any of the Acro's you wanted, for 10 bucks a frag. I'd make the trip down there with 50 bucks in my wallet again for that alone. I hesitate to tell you to try and get some SPS frags for the group, as you don't know what everyone has already, but I'd be willing to bet you could get rid of any frags you got.

Ron's a nice guy too. He spent a lot of time talking to us while we were there, and was very nice about talking to us about his store and his techniques.
Tell him the group from NY say's Hi.
You can see some pics of his store I took on my website:

http://reef.myip.org/welcome.html

Just look on the main page for a link to Ron's.

- Mac

ToddsReef
03/05/2002, 08:45 AM
I usually don't like to write negative things on the board but I have to in this case. I have been to Ron's several times on my way back and forth to various places and I have had both good and bad experiences, probably more bad than good.

The good:
Ron is an enjoyable person to listen to and has interesting opinions about the hobby. His 750G tank is worth the trip in and of itself. The selection of fish is amazing and most are VERY healthy.

The bad:
1. Ron sold me a Starburst Anthias and told me that it would "live through anything". It wasn't until I arrived home and researched it that I found out the truth, and five days later I experienced it (he died). Down $65 dollars. Either he was ignorant about the survival rate of this fish in captivity and it was an honest mistake, or he lied to make a sale, I believe it was the latter.

2. Ron sold me a green bubble and said it was "wicked rare man". It looked like a normal green bubble at the time but he said it was amazing when it was "all opened up". Well, this is another "rule" in the hobby that I should have paid attention to, don't buy a coral if it isn't open. I paid $70 for a run of the mill green bubble that was 2 inches across because I listened to Ron and Ron made a killing on a $20 coral because he fooled me.

3. Probably the most frustrating of all. Ron sold me food for $25/bag the first time I was at the store. The food was great so when I ran out I called him to find out if he had more and what the price would be. "Yeah, we just made the **** up, still 25-bucks". After driving 3 hours I found out that the food was going to be "45-bucks man, got some better **** in it".

I realize that if I were to read a beginners book on reefs and follow the simple rules on buying livestock that I would never have run into the first two problems (always research livestock and make sure it is open in the store before buying it). However, there weren't resources available in the store at the time (that I saw) to research the specimens, and Ron can definitely talk the talk. So I fell into the trap and while I realize that all of this (except #3) could have been prevented by me, I wouldn't want others to visit Ron's Saltwater Heaven without being aware of my experience.

Sorry to be a drag,
Todd

Gary Majchrzak
03/05/2002, 08:52 AM
Todd: Your'e never a drag, man! Thanks for sharing! My prescription is to find a LFS with ignorant employees and take advantage of THEM!!!! :lol:

saltwaterfishlover
03/05/2002, 09:05 AM
THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT..... ITS ONLY A COUPLE MINUTES (MAYBE 30) OUT OF THE WAY ON THE DRIVE HOME SO WILL STOP TO LOOK BUT WILL TRY TO BE WARRY....

saltwaterfishlover
03/10/2002, 06:10 PM
my opinion of store.......

Ron's Saltwater cesspool

kmagyar
03/10/2002, 10:23 PM
Was there on the 9th for the first time with playfair and Jamie. Got 5 frags. If it werent for 10 - 20 dollar frags it would have not been worth it. Ron is a bit strange.

Gary Majchrzak
03/15/2002, 08:25 AM
Did anyone notice if the Achilles tang was still in the display reef? :confused:

saltwaterfishlover
03/15/2002, 09:51 AM
sorry gary i didnt notice i was only in ther for 15 minutes. really didnt get a good vibe from the place.. in my opinion it mad marine oasis look like caribian forest.... comparatively speeking ....

kayla
04/07/2002, 11:14 PM
Hi Gary. I know this is an old post but I just came across it. I work at Ron's Saltwater Heaven and I just wanted you to know that the Achilles tang is still in the display tank and is doing great. Later.

Kayla

Gary Majchrzak
04/07/2002, 11:29 PM
Kayla- You are my girl! THANK YOU! How about those TILEFISH???:confused:

kayla
04/09/2002, 05:38 PM
YUP, they are still there too. :)

Gary Majchrzak
04/09/2002, 10:31 PM
Thanks again, Kayla. Ron should thank you too, because I just made up my mind to stop in on the next trip to Lancaster to visit family...;)