PDA

View Full Version : NEW 2.5g mini-reef

go4broke44
10/04/2005, 03:44 PM
i have a few small tanks now, as i am limited to size since i live in dorms, but i just set up my newest tank. should i expect a cycle in a 2.5 gallon tank, with about 1/2" of cured LS, and 5+ lbs of cured LR? i wouldnt think so, but i just want to check to make sure

Henry22
10/04/2005, 03:59 PM
If you went home right after you go the rock I wouldnt think so but i would run it at least 3 weeks if anything pops up, especially for such a small tank.

MeuserReef
10/04/2005, 04:04 PM
What are your filter plans for this 2.5? I wanted to go with this size but it just limited me too much in what I could keep. I guess a 10 gallon in an apartment is the same tank/space ratio as a 2.5 gallon in a dorm!

-J

go4broke44
10/04/2005, 04:19 PM
heres some pictures of my setup:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b393/go4broke44/DSCN0376.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b393/go4broke44/DSCN0373.jpg

filtering is currently provided by a HOB aquaclear 20, running a bag of carbon, and the heater & thermometer are also in there, to keep the display nice and clean.

lighting is currently a 20w PC split bulb, 1/2 10,000K and the other Actinic. it will be upgraded very soon to 2 10,000K bulbs, and i think i'm gonna leave in the 20w PC for some blue coloration, or add an actinic flourescent bulb or something, havent decided yet. if the T-5 doesnt work out, i'm just gonna go with 3 20w PC's, for a total of 60w.

either way, my tank is gonna look like a nuclear reactor when i'm done with lighting it, i want to grow SPS!

go4broke44
10/11/2005, 10:48 AM
heres a new FTS

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b393/go4broke44/DSCN0393.jpg

alot of new additions! i added the frogspawn in the back, 3 xenia frags, some more zoos, and a small frag of GSP. i also added another light, a 26w screw in PC, its a full spectrum bulb, with high intensity in the red, purple and blue spectrums, so we'll see how it works. if it works nicely, i might add another one in the back, so i'll have 72w of PC, right now its just at 46w. hopefully then the SPS will be added i also had 3 small frags of some green polyped leathers, but then didnt seem to like my tank? i superglued them to a rock, and one began to get dark-gray colored at the base, and it just kinda spread throughout the whole leather, and when i went to move the rock one day, it just came off and pretty much materialized into a bunch of suspended crap all over my tank. the other 2 leathers fell off as well, so for the time being, the 2 existing frags are just hanging out in the back corner on the substrate, i'll just let them do whatever they want, and see what happens.

2 of the xenia frags are attached to small shells, and i woke up this morning to find one of them crawling around the tank! i guess one of my hermits decided that it was a good fit for him, so he snatched it! hopefully the other xenia on the shell attaches itself alittle to a rock, so the other hermit can't snag that one as well.

i also added a goby and pistol shrimp last night, who proceeded to make a labrynth of tunnels under all my rockwork, hopefully it all still stands so they don't get smashed underneath! they are still both pretty shy, i'll catch a glimpse of them every now and then, anyone have any suggestions for feeding them?