PDA

View Full Version : Northeast Specimen Collection

Mad Scientist
03/02/2002, 08:03 PM
Does anyone have any experience in collection of marine fish, sponges, and espically anenomes off New England? I have heard there is a lot of red tape in terms of permits, espcailly for stuff like lobsters (undersized) and starfish, but, I was wondering if anyone could share any work they have done in the collection and husbandry of cold water reef species? Thanks

billsreef
03/03/2002, 12:11 AM
You'll want to check with the your local department of natural resources or enironmental conservation or whatever department handles fishing permits, collecting permits and such. It's been quite a few years since I've lived on the cape, but at the time it was an easy matter to collect things for personal use, just need to stay within any size and season guidelines for any species in particular. Some things such as lobster and other shellfish do require permits. Generally undersized specimens are only obtainable with scientific collecting permits which are only available to people associated with schools and research organizations.