PDA

View Full Version : Toadfish

Mad Scientist
03/02/2002, 07:57 PM
I recently purchased a nice orange Toadfish, most sources seem to say that Toads are not venmous; does anyone have any info about these hardy fish?

billsreef
03/03/2002, 12:14 AM
[welcome]

Toads have big mouths and eat all that they can :D They also croak, sounding something like a bullfrog :eek1: Neat fish, but they don't move around much.

Wolverine
03/03/2002, 12:28 AM
Toadfish are pretty cool. If you've ever seen the old Tick cartoons, the toadfish is just like Speak. It just sort of sits there. I've never heard anything about them being venomous.

Like lionfish, you sometimes have to start with live foods to get them to eat. They only need to be fed a few times a week (goes back to the not moving around much thing). As Bill mentioned, they'll eat any fish and crustaceans that can fit into their big mouths. If you're going reef, make sure everything is very solid in the way it's set up, since they can burrow and bring down your aquascape.

Dave

speek
02/12/2004, 08:45 PM
are these related to leaf fish?? can i put one in a seahorse tank?

slik1511
02/12/2004, 10:32 PM
I wouldn't !!!! i think that if the seahorse goes near it, say good buy to the seahorse... also the seahorse's eat slowly and the toadfish might eat all the food before the seahorses can....... that just my two cents if you do please pm me an let me know... i'd be curious what happens ...... :thumbsup:

Mad Scientist
02/12/2004, 11:35 PM
This is an old thread;I kept the toad for about 8 months then gave him to a friend. This fish was the real deal, big and very aggressive at feeding time.

I fed the toadfish pieces of shrimp that where twice the size of the average seahorse. My toadfish would have destroyed a seahorse on sight. Cool fish for a big tank though.

Tetraodon
02/14/2004, 02:02 AM
How big was it?

Mad Scientist
02/14/2004, 08:53 AM
It was about 6"plus, very thick though - bright orange.

Tetraodon
02/14/2004, 10:23 AM
Cool. I know you don't have it anymore. Any old pics of it?

Mad Scientist
02/14/2004, 12:37 PM
No, I wish I had some pics, but, I didn't have my digital at the time. Neat fish though, if I had a 180+ I probably would have kept him.

Fin Follower ED
02/14/2004, 02:28 PM
I have a small orange toad, he's really cool. he likes to let the over flow hold him suspended at the top of the tank.