PDA

View Full Version : Royal/Bicolor Dottyback and a Shrimp

Peekaboo
09/17/2004, 01:35 AM
I'm planning out my new 55 gallon tank. I bought my first fish a Royal/bicolor dottyback. I'm planning on adding a pair of (some sort of) clownfish and a flame angel in the next couple of months. They should be able to stand up for themselves. Then maybe a fifth fish some day. Any suggestions on that would be welcome.

But I also wanted a shrimp or two, but doing some online research I found out bicolor dottybacks will snack on them sometimes. Does anybody have any experience with this? Is there no type of shrimp I could keep with the little rascal?

CrystalAZ
09/17/2004, 05:44 AM
I wouldn't chance it. There was a post in the last couple of days where a dottyback was systematically removing all the legs of a cleaner shrimp. I think you'll have to choose between a dottyback and a shrimp. :)

Crystal

JENnKerry
09/17/2004, 12:02 PM
I agree. I got rid of my purple stripe pseusdo because I wanted a cleaner shrimp. There are people here on RC that have successfully kept both but I wouldn't chance it. It would only be a matter of time.

tanker
09/17/2004, 12:06 PM
I assume that this is a FOWLR?? A hawk would be nice. Also depends on which clowns. Nemo is too timid to stand up to a dottyback.

JENnKerry
09/17/2004, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by tanker
A hawk would be nice.

Shrimp are still in danger. Hawks will more than likely eat them as well.

Peekaboo
09/17/2004, 02:22 PM
I guess I'll stick with the dottyback, then get a shrimp to console myself over his death some day in the future... :) I quite like him so far. But i won't risk a shrimp.

tanker
09/17/2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by JENnKerry
Shrimp are still in danger. Hawks will more than likely eat them as well.

True, was going on the assumption that shrimp was not going to be added because dottyback.

Peekaboo
09/17/2004, 04:19 PM
What clowns are best to stand up to a dottyback?

And what hawkfish?

It seems we're going to have a slightly more aggressive tank than we original thought. :)

JENnKerry
09/17/2004, 04:50 PM
A maroon clown would stand up fine. Depending on what other fish you want to get, put the clown in last. Can be nasty. As far as hawkfish, the flame hawk (http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=193&TopCatId=34) is a very popular choice. Shrimp are in danger, as are the tiniest crustaceans. This fish has no swim bladder. Just kinda "hops" from one rock to another. Perches all the time with that dopey look on it's face. Great personable fish though.

Peekaboo
09/17/2004, 06:04 PM
OK, I did a bit more research how about this.

55 gallon small and Feisty tank
---------------------------------------
a bicolor dottyback
a blue damselfish
a longnose or flame hawkfish
a flame or coral beauty angelfish
a maroon clownfish

Introduced in that order. With no shrimp or crabs.

Would they work it all out in most likelihood or would it be allout war all the time?

dubluv
09/17/2004, 08:13 PM
my diadema dottyback killed a black velvet damsel that was in the tank first. then he killed a peppermint shrimp. i still felt bad when i found he had jumped out of the tank and didnt survive. nice fish, very aggressive and interesting behaviour. not without some baggage however

Peekaboo
09/17/2004, 11:19 PM
Hmm I guess the damsel may not be up to facing a dottyback! (wow!)

55 gallon FOWLR small and Feisty tank
-------------------------------------------------
a bicolor dottyback
2 maroon clownfish (paired)

Are there any other small and feisty fish to consider?

tanker
09/17/2004, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Peekaboo
OK, I did a bit more research how about this.

55 gallon small and Feisty tank
---------------------------------------
a bicolor dottyback
a blue damselfish
a maroon clownfish

Would they work it all out in most likelihood or would it be allout war all the time?

Looks OK to me, but I would flip/flop the hawk and dottyback.
FYI-- A Tomato clown would be as good as a maroon clown in this environment.

Peekaboo
09/18/2004, 12:40 PM
One other question apart from fish compatability.

Would ceriths and astrea be safe with this group of fish? I have no idea what fish might eat snails.

tanker
09/18/2004, 02:52 PM
Hawks eat snails, crabs, shrimps. I think most "meaner" damsels can stand-up to a dotty. Hit or miss. You may get a damsel that will kill the dotty.

Peekaboo
09/18/2004, 03:51 PM
So no clean up crew if you have a hawk then?

tanker
09/19/2004, 03:25 AM
Unless you get big hermit and a small hawk, but the hawk will grow.

JENnKerry
09/19/2004, 07:41 AM
I think more or less if you have smaller snails, they might be in danger. I think turbos and ceriths would be ok in the presence of a hawk. Just about every information website about the hawk (http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=193&TopCatId=34) states this. Emerald crabs, sally lightfoot crabs should be fine as well. I would just be worried about smaller snails, shrimp, and the smallest of hermits. Keep in mind that hawkfish have large mouths. It's all a matter of the hawk being able to open it's mouth wide enough to eat a snail.

The damsel standing up to your dottyback really all depends on the individual. Some damsels are more aggressive than others. If you're refferring to the blue devil damsel then you shouldn't have any problems. But keep in the back of your mind that I have a 4 stripe damsel that has never picked on anyone in the nine months that I've had him.

Peekaboo
09/19/2004, 12:31 PM
I ended up getting a domino damsel yesterday (my wife chose him over a blue devil) and so far he and the dotyback are doing well. The damsel seems dominant, as the doty just moves away when the damsel approaches now. But they haven't had a stand-off or more than one small chase that I have seen in 24 hours.

Thanks for the info JeNnKerry.

I may not get a hawk as I really like inverts and was bumbed enough to know my dotyback may take out a big shrimp. We'll see, compatability is a ***** isn't it. :) I found a couple of cool charts which have been helpful.

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/compatible.html

http://www.thepetstop.com/fish_shop/chart.html

integra
10/11/2005, 04:05 PM
dotty back is a reed devil. he eats shrimp like good steak for human....don't even want to try it....good luck, integra

GreshamH
10/17/2005, 01:54 PM
I think this thread was moved to the wrong forum :D

ronald7410
01/01/2007, 05:31 PM
i have purple dottyback with my cleaner shrimp. they seem to do very well. first few days i saw 2 legs from the shrimp missing. they eventually grew back and the dotty back hasnt bothered him since. :)